FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Video/DVD ROM hybrid

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JohnLenin
DVD Video/DVD ROM hybrid
on Jun 12, 2006 at 9:52:37 pm

I am a student about to graduate and am wanting to create a portfolio that will play when it is put into a DVD player and an interactive Flash type portfolio when it is put into a computer. Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: DVD Video/DVD ROM hybrid
on Jun 13, 2006 at 2:39:06 am

With perhaps a DVD-Menu program you could create an auto-exec file that launches a menu that would allow the user to choose to play the DVD or play the Flash...

Warning! You will have major cross-platform issues. Also, some PC's will automatically try to launch the DVD player if it sees a Video TS folder on the disc...that could usurp the menu idea.

However, if you used eDVD from Sonic and the Mac's DVD@ccess you could add a menu item that would launch the flash movie when clicked, therwise it would behave like a regular DVD, on a set top or in a PC.

Couple long threads in the Apple DVD Studio Pro forum about this subject...

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

JohnLenin
on Jun 13, 2006 at 3:04:57 am

Thanks for the quick reply I appreciate it. Has anyone done any othering with Director MX2004? From my online searching it seemed to indicate that it would be possible to create a multimedia dvd. Im not sure if that is what Im looking for though. Thanks for your help guys!

Return to posts index

nikolaus
on Jul 14, 2006 at 11:10:20 pm

Hi There,

I have been doing exactly that for a while and am working on a big project using interactive DVD video.

Interact et al are a bit on the low spec side here. Director is a cool tool to create fantastic interactive material that includes DVD video and all the other usual CD/DVD ROM stuff.

It depends whether you want the ROM and DVD Vdieo parts to be separate or together (i.e. a custom DVD player that plays back the DVD Video on insertion on a PC).

In the first case, just author your video DVD, then create some flash app;ication with your portfolio, and put both onto a DVD. Safest option is to use your DVD authoring application to create the final disk as they usually let you include ROM content (e.g. by allowing to include the contents of a folder, etc.)

In the second case you need Direcor (Flash can't do it) and author away creating screens that play back your DVD, etc. In the end put it all on the disk in the same way as the above.

As long as teh file system adheres to DVD Vdieo standard, and there is a Video_TS and Audio_TS on the disk most DVD players will run with it. They don't care if there is anythign outside the -TS folders.

Also, re autorun on a PC: That in almost all cases will override the launch of the installed vdieo DVD player. I have yet to see a PC that tries to autorun an app from a DVD AND playback the DVD Video part fo it at the same time. So it is pretty safe to e.g. create your own custom 'portfolio' player on a video DVD.

Nik

[dvdxf.com]

Nik C

Return to posts index

odetoacow
on Jun 13, 2006 at 2:13:23 pm

We have been using Intellidisc for enhanced DVDs. It is pretty solid so far and we haven't had any client-side playback issues. You can create a Flash/html executeable that will automatically launch on a PC (will launch the Intellidisc executable, not your DVD player,) without having to install any additional software (no need for Interactual player.) The downside is the endhanced DVD will not auto-play on Mac, but you can use DVD@ccess to lauch the same set of Flash/html files from Apple DVD player (just make sure they're optimized for Safari.) It is an elegant way to present your DVD-Video inside a web interface.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]