FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with DVD in different players depending on how it was burned to DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David DiCanio
Problem with DVD in different players depending on how it was burned to DVD
on Jun 11, 2006 at 3:11:40 am

Here is my situation. Several people have already said they are having trouble playing my DVD-R. I tried something different to save time, and am wondering if this is the problem. I used DVDit LE to burn my project out to a DVD-R. Sent a few of them out, no one had problems. Then I decided, to save time I would just right click on the DVD-R in the CD-ROM drive, and open it, and then copy the two files "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS" onto my hard drive. I then used Easy CD Creator to make a DVD-R "data" CD, and just burned those two files onto it. It worked in my PC DVD player, and also in my television DVD player, a Mintek. But the same people are having trouble with this new way I did it.

Is there a difference between authoring a DVD-R out of DVDit LE from an MPEG2, OR copying that authored DVD's files to a DVD-R disk in Easy CD Creator? Aren't the files, just files no matter what?

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

David DiCanio
Re: Is copying VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS files to 4.7gig data disk, same as authoring?
on Jun 12, 2006 at 12:51:15 pm

Here is my situation. Several people have already said they are having trouble playing my DVD-R. I tried something different to save time, and am wondering if this is the problem. I used DVDit LE to burn my project out to a DVD-R. Sent a few of them out, no one had problems. Then I decided, to save time I would just right click on the DVD-R in the CD-ROM drive, and open it, and then copy the two files "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS" onto my hard drive. I then used Easy CD Creator to make a DVD-R "data" CD, and just burned those two files onto it. It worked in my PC DVD player, and also in my television DVD player, a Mintek. But the same people are having trouble with this new way I did it.

Is there a difference between authoring a DVD-R out of DVDit LE from an MPEG2, OR copying that authored DVD's files to a DVD-R disk in Easy CD Creator? Aren't the files, just files no matter what?

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

George W.
Re: Is copying VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS files to 4.7gig data disk, same as authoring?
on Jun 12, 2006 at 12:59:41 pm

There are different "modes" for burning -- check if your burning software has a DVD-Video (or something similar) mode...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

David DiCanio
on Jun 12, 2006 at 11:46:27 pm

Hi George:

Yeah, I'm using Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum. I'm selecting "make a data CD," and then the option "Use your DVD recordable drive to store up to 4.7 GB of data." So I just burned the VIDEO_TS and the AUDIO_TS files, as described above.

Return to posts index

Nathan Tinsley
Make a DVD folder.
on Jul 28, 2006 at 7:06:09 pm

Hello,

I have burned DATA DVD's in the past using the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders with good results. That's the spec for DVD. The set top player looks for those folders and then plays the associated VOB files. I used a program called RECORD NOW v.3 and made a DATA project, then added the folders to the project and burned the DVD. It never asked me if I had a DVD loaded or not and it didn't seem to care. This program is up to version 7 now but I don't use it anymore.

Now having said all that, I would try using DVDIT to make a DVD FOLDER instead of a DVD disk. I hope that your version allows you to do that. I used to use DVDIT 2.5 but it was the professional version. Under the BUILD or MAKE DVD options look for MAKE DVD FOLDER and see if you can specify a location on your hard drive. Or even see if you can make an IMAGE which would be even better. The location that you specify will likely make a new folder called "project name BUILD01" or something like that but if you drill into it you'll find those familiar VIDEO and AUDIO_TS folders. Add those folders to your Data DVD project and try it that way.

I suspect that your method of burning a DVD and then copying that DVD back to your hard drive and then burning it again is exagerating the small errors that can be created when DVD's get burned with consumer grade burners and media. Most of the time they're not a problem because there's quite a bit of error correction in the DVD spec but if you make copies of copies of copies you're just asking for it.

Also if you can make a DVD image your burning software may be able to recognize it and burn from that as well.

Good luck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]