FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD+R or -R?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JeffDriscoll
DVD+R or -R?
on Jun 9, 2006 at 3:00:34 am

I'm gearing up for my largest production yet and it's the first one where I"m dealing with actual clients and buyers and not friends / family who have easy access to me if there's a problem, so I'm being careful about all my steps.

Now I've always been told to use DVD+R discs to get most DVD players to work with the discs, but the person who contracted me says he's always heard to use DVD-R.

IS there one that's better than the other? Is there any difference really? Why the confusion?

Thanks

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
Re: DVD+R or -R?
on Jun 9, 2006 at 11:57:46 am

You'll probably get as many opinions on this as people you canvas for an answer. If you ask the question on a Mac forum, most would lean towards (-) media; on the PC side it'll be split down the middle. The first Mac's didn't allow for burning (+) media, but they all do now.

This is my opinion. With today's set top players, they both perform well. If you are outputting to single layer media, the (-) media has an edge. The reason for that is that there are still some players that won't read the (+) discs unless the bit setting is set to ROM (which not all burners and or burning software can do). If you have a burner that does the above (and the software to set it); then the (+) media should work just as well.

With dual layer projects, the advantage goes to (+) media. In fact, I would recommend NOT using (-) media for anything other than using it as a means for optical storage of data. The (-) does not work well at all for dvd video.

Jim

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jun 9, 2006 at 8:37:35 pm

[WTS(JManz)] "The (-) does not work well at all for dvd video."

Jim, I'm told by duplicating houses to use DVD-R for my (single-layer) authored DVDs. What is it I am missing here?

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Jun 9, 2006 at 9:50:06 pm

I'm not sure about your question, but I'll take a stab at it. I'm assuming you didn't note the beginning of that paragraph? My reference was in regards to dual layer recordable discs and playback on set top players. The (-) media is clearly inferior in this regards. I think (-) media has a slight edge over the (+) media for single layer projects and playback on set top players.

With all of that said, how any particular disc performs on a given set top player is independent of how a replication facility would prefer to have the project delivered.

Jim

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
sorry
on Jun 11, 2006 at 12:16:21 am

[WTS(JManz)] "I'm assuming you didn't note the beginning of that paragraph?"

You are right. Thanks for the reply. I should have read your post more carefully.

-- Bob

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
Re: sorry
on Jun 11, 2006 at 12:26:34 am

Bob,
No need to apologize, I've done exactly the same thing.
Jim

Return to posts index

supervideo
on Jul 5, 2006 at 9:13:37 am

if you want all your discs to play on any player 100 percent ..you must use 3.95 dvd s made for authoring ...and they can only be burned on the pioneer 201 burnner

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]