FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quality of NTSC DVD when original footage shot in PAL?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Boampong
Quality of NTSC DVD when original footage shot in PAL?
on May 18, 2006 at 4:29:24 pm

Dear all, I have been approached to produce some martial arts videos. The system we use is PAL. (Camera PAL DV) However the US (a big market) uses NTSC. I have noticed that when I convert my DV PAL foootage to NTSC it never looks as good as the PAL version. Sometimes very crappy actually. Is there any way I can create a high quality NTSC DVD from PAL footage? I use a PC (P4) and Canopus procoder for conversion and DVD encore for authoring. Canopus procoder gives me excellent results when converting files from one format to another but staying within the PAL realm. What can I do?

Thanks
Dave

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Quality of NTSC DVD when original footage shot in PAL?
on May 18, 2006 at 5:51:07 pm

Pay someone- conversion quality is entirely dependent on the method used. Procoder is decent but nowhere near as good as a nice hardware conversion system a dub house uses. There's also better software converters from nattress.com and dvfilm.com

Noah

Return to posts index

George W.
on May 19, 2006 at 11:45:48 am

One idea might be to encode to 24P, then use an authoring program that will accept your 24p material to author your NTSC DVD.

I'm curious as to what looks "bad" when procoder does the conversion for you -- can you post some sample shots? I've helped author a global dvd that contained PAL and NTSC material (I did the NTSC version). I understand the Pal clips (about 2-4 minutes each) were converted using Procoder (they were send to me), and they looked darn good to me when I played them in NTSC Land.

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Dave Boampong
on May 19, 2006 at 10:29:32 pm

Cheers. I will do so as soon as we start shooting.

Return to posts index

RickDroz
on May 23, 2006 at 4:51:04 pm

Hi,

I

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]