FORUMS: list search recent posts

Silver vs. White Printable DVDs

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
carlsunder
Silver vs. White Printable DVDs
on May 16, 2006 at 1:40:27 pm

Hi all -

I just got a new shipment of DVDs in. I've been using Verbatim white, but I've heard a lot about Taiyo Yuden, so I ordered 100 of those to give em a shot. I ordered 50 whites, and 50 silvers. I've never used the silvers, so I thought this might be an interesting comparison.

I'm using the Bravo II to print on the discs (so in other words, I'm not all that impressed with the quality anyway.... but that's beside the point.) I just did a test and ran the same design through with silver and white TYs.

The white makes my text "pop". It also makes the logos stand out. With the silver, the logos and type almost look fuzzy because of the reflective properties of the silver surface. And my text just doesn't "pop" like it does on the white. Yet, the silver gives the whole disc a nice sheen, and looks like a professionally pressed disc. The white, as always, still has that amateur look, especially when compared to the silver.

So I'm wondering what everyone else thinks. Do you like silver or white printable discs? Is my design flawed in that it looks crummy on the silver? How do you get around this?

Thanks for your input!

Return to posts index

Glenn Woiler
Re: Silver vs. White Printable DVDs
on May 16, 2006 at 8:06:34 pm

I have done 1000's of white Ritek's. I have tried the silvers and think that if the graphic is disigned for the silver that it looks pretty good. I almost gives it a 3D look... like you are looking In To the image. But, if you want to reproduce a graphic true to life... it has to be on white. I am just using 2 Epson R200's

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]