FORUMS: list search recent posts

My dual layer master was rejected because of a split cell

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jmf
My dual layer master was rejected because of a split cell
by
on May 9, 2006 at 3:34:44 pm

I let the DVD Studio Pro 3.0 automatically set the layer flag and received this from my duplicator. My workflow is to build in Studio Pro and burn with Toast. What exactly is a cell and how do I fix this:

jmf

"DVD Video specs require that a cell be allocated within the same layer (ie; a cell on layer 0 cannot span into layer 1) The seamless playback flag is not set correctly at the layer break.

This is known to cause playability problems on some systems. The problem was introduced in the authoring process"

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: My dual layer master was rejected because of a split cell
on May 9, 2006 at 4:13:14 pm

1. There is a known issue with older versions of DVDSP flagging layer breaks as seamless (they must be non-seamless breaks). DVDSP 4 does not do this.

2. Are you attempting to master a DVD-9 from a DVD+/-R? Not the wisest course, and very prone to error (both computer and human type)!

3. I would let DVDSP burn the DVD so that the layer break is set correctly. Going to Toast can introduce problems with the placement of the layer break if you are not careful.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

jmf
by
on May 9, 2006 at 4:20:31 pm

Yes DVD+R DL to DVD9.

The project requires some compression to fit, but I thought the break point was set during the build and Toast would use this point. Are you saying the break point is not set until format and burn and Toast is putting it in?

jmf

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on May 9, 2006 at 7:31:34 pm

Not all DVD burning software will use the layer break set by the authoring program. That is why it is safer to have the authoring program burn the DVD.

We don't use this workflow for replicated DVD-9, so I really can't guide you any further. Maybe someone with more DVDSP/Toast experience can add to my comments.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

scottmillerdp
on May 15, 2006 at 10:08:04 am

interesting read,
having trouble in 2 having buttons display video in my menus
any thoughts?
scott