DVD Playback problems after Authoring

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bleu
DVD Playback problems after Authoring
by
on Apr 18, 2006 at 4:10:12 am

Hi,

I burned a 6 min music video onto DVD from FCP5. The video looks great in FCP5 & the burned DVD will play fine on Apple DVD player, but plays slow & choppy on all standard DVD players.

First I burned 8x disks, then 4x, & still the same problem. Is there a special encoding &/or setting in IDVD that I need to have the DVD play in the new & possibly old standard home DVD players?

Any help would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
Re: DVD Playback problems after Authoring
on Apr 18, 2006 at 1:49:54 pm

What media are you using? Inferior media will cause these problems.

Return to posts index

Bleu
by
on Apr 21, 2006 at 3:51:33 am

Hi Mr Sareen,

Thanks for responding to my post.

Actually , I was using the bulk disks I picked up at the computer fair.

I tried a burn using the Apple recommended disk after a DVDSP4 tutorial & got much better results on my newer model DVD players.

I'm not sure, but lowering my bit rate (even beyond safe/conservative settings) & using Constant bit rate instead of Variable bit rate when using Apple's Compressor may have been a factor as well in the successful burn.

I'll be using DVDSP4 now. I just couldn't get the hang of IDVD for some reason.

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
on Apr 22, 2006 at 6:38:19 pm

Hi,
Well, as a general rule DVDs with poor quality dont play all that well. I had the same expereince a few years ago and I had to re-burn a lot of my content.

Aanarav Sareen
premiere@asvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Bleu
by
on Apr 23, 2006 at 5:05:41 pm

Apparently this is a big problem everywhere with DVD's, especially DVD-r's. Lots of machines, even the newer ones, won't play burned DVD's.

I often learn things in videography from coming across a problem & either hiring a techie to solve the problem as well as give me a tutorial, or post a question on these forums & usually I get a great suggestion.

I knew that I wanted to be able to burn my DVD's & have them play most everywhere. Experts were saying it is mostly impossible & that there will always be a problem, especially with the older DVD machines........ But........ I noticed that usually (NOT always) whenever I came across a bootleg DVD, not only did it play on just about every machine, the packaging looked just as good as the product they were imitating (labeling, cover art, texting, shrink wrap, bar coding, etc).

I knew that altho' I'm not a bootlegger nor do I advocate it, I wanted the same success with their DVD's. The answer?.......

FROM MY RESEARCH.............REPLICATING......

Replication is quite different from duplication.

The bootleggers make ONE good master, have it replicated (either they have the equipment or they send it out), then they either make their copies off of that one replication with the equipment, or take the replicated master & burn copies on a regular computer. Their burned copies play on most machines, new or old.

At a pro DVD production house, after they make the replicated master, they usually test it in at least 10-20 different DVD players to assure some sort of reliability.

This info may seem like old news to the experts here, but to folks like me, it was a revelation & one I didn't witness until visiting a bootleg replication facility here in NYC.

I just couldn't see spending months/years on a film project, doing all the broadcast safe/color correction, burning it, submitting it for distribution & the DVD not playing on the guy's machine. With most people who you're submitting it to, you don't get a second chance & they don't wanna hear excuses.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]