FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting scenes from DVD?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat Furrie
Exporting scenes from DVD?
on Apr 14, 2006 at 8:04:32 pm

The TV station I work for records DVD air checks of all of our newscasts. Periodically we get requests for a copy of a segment, and we'd like to send just that segment to them on DVD. It has been asked if there is a way to put the DVD into a computer, view the disc to find the in and out points we're interested in (or something close to it) and then capture it back into the computer. That will then be burned to another DVD.

Yes, I know that we could just put a DVD player and recorder together and do it that way, but the people who do this want very clean in and outs to the segment.

Is there any software which would allow us to selectively grab sections of a DVD? Remember that these are DVDs to which we already own the content, so it completely legal.

Thanks

Pat Furrie
WESH-TV, Orlando

Return to posts index

George W.
Re: Exporting scenes from DVD?
on Apr 14, 2006 at 8:55:09 pm

I use Ulead's VideoStudio 9 (soon to be version 10) to "Import from DVD" -- it can import entire Titles, or specific Chapters. You could import the chapter(s), cut off the "excess", and output one mpeg section. The software will even let you re-author the "kept" video into a new DVD.

Ulead also has other software that imports from DVD in the same manner -- MovieFactory 4 and 5, and MediStudio Pro 8.

You could download their Trial version (keep in mind the Trials might not support Dolby Digital Audio, but the FULL versions support and encode Dolby Digital audio).

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Pat Furrie
on Apr 14, 2006 at 9:06:13 pm

George,

Thank you for the suggestion.

All of our DVDs have only one chapter, which means we'd have to import an entire 30 minute newscast in order to get just the relevant couple of minutes. Am really hoping to find something that can grab just the part of the disk we need without having to import anything extra. That should make it much faster (only having to import 2 minutes instead of 30).

Next?

Pat

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Apr 14, 2006 at 9:46:00 pm

I use this:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=MPEG_StreamClip

But its mac only

Try Videohelp's tool section and find anything you need:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Apr 14, 2006 at 10:36:24 pm

Pat,

Procoder from Canopus would allow you to import a dvd (which have VOB files) and while in the source tab scrub to the in and out point and set the target to then output the file in whatever format you want--even burning back out to dvd.

jim

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 15, 2006 at 2:40:05 am

Just out of curiosity- how do they record to DVD? Does it first get captured and then exported to DVD or is it on a direct to DVD recorder? I ask because a far simpler system would be to capture to DV or at least direct to hard drive. Then you'd have a much much cleaner, much much easier to re-edit system. It could even be setup to run completely automatically and organize itself by date and time. DVD archiving is just that- archiving. If you are wanting to go back and re-use material often, DVD is IMHO worse than VHS because it's not what it's designed to do.

Noah

Return to posts index

Pat Furrie
on Apr 15, 2006 at 3:00:08 pm

The DVD recording it done straight to DVD from a live feed of the newscast, recorded on a consumer stand-alone DVD recorder. This is primarly done for archiving of the newscasts, as you pointed out. It is simple and straight forward, without any need to have an intermediate step. On those occasions when we need to dub off something from a DVD, it could be many months from now. We don't want to have that much programming sitting on a hard drive waiting to the possiblity of someone wanting a dub of it. And the use of the dub are presumed to be for non-broadcast use, so quality isn't the issue, other than making clean in and out points to the segment.

Pat

Return to posts index

Pat Furrie
on Apr 15, 2006 at 2:52:48 pm

What version of ProCoder are you using? I downloaded the trial version (1.25.15.0), but VOB is not listed as a source type, and doesn't even show up anywhere in help. Reading the online documentation for ProCoder Express, ProCoder 2.0, and ProCoder Statino, they each list "Source Formats" but DVD and VOB aren't included.

Pat

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Apr 15, 2006 at 4:03:17 pm

Pat,

The trial version of Procoder you are using did not support vob file conversion. Procoder 2 will transcode unencrypted dvd's/vob files.

Jim

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 16, 2006 at 4:12:16 pm

And, as Jim has determined, it can be run on either PC or MAC now.

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Apr 16, 2006 at 6:12:59 pm

It gets even a notch better. When you boot up on the Mac side, you can create your content with LiveType/Final Cut/Motion 2/etc. If you format your PC to Fat, then you can read and write directly from with OS X to the Windows partition. I personally would format in NTFS (for a number of reasons, especially file size limitations of FAT), you can still read the files on the Mac side. However, with MacDrive6, you can read AND write to the Mac partition while in Windows. In other words, you take the content you created with Mac apps while in Windows and directly access them for use (in this case, to encode with Procoder). This eliminates the potential need to have an external drive to migrate files back and forth.

Jim

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
on Apr 17, 2006 at 4:14:03 am

Pat,
Check out Adobe Premiere Elements 2. Version 2.0 introduced the ability to capture from DVD and may be suitable for what you are trying to accomplish.

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Apr 17, 2006 at 12:18:19 pm

Edius as well as several other NLE allow capture from unencrypted dvd's. That is certainly an option, but it would require you to transcode the entire disc, then cut/edit what you want, and then output the clip you want. Procoder will allow you to look into the vob file, mark your in and out, and then if you want, set your output back to dvd and it will transcode that segment and output direct to disc or mpeg file (whichever you want). If you use the direct to disc method, then the audio will be mpeg1layer2, which should play in most set top players (all computers can handle it), but some older NTSC machines might not.

Jim

Return to posts index

karim
on Apr 27, 2006 at 9:11:22 am

Hi,

just had the same problem since I get DVDs all the time with the comment "use this, its digital!". I tried some rippers/transcoders and MPEG-Streamclip for MAC is great and exports about anything you wish for from a VOB (best of all it features quicktime and you can easily set ins/outs and even cut sequences).
Anyway, workflow is best for me digitizing directly from the YUV-Signals of a good DVD-Player to AVID, can't see much of a difference and have less transcoding-Artifacts.

Karim

Return to posts index

Pat Furrie
on Apr 27, 2006 at 3:41:24 pm

Thanks Karim.

While we do have some Avids, we'd prefer a solution that would be applicable to any computer in the building, with no special hardware requirements other than having a DVD drive.

Pat

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Apr 27, 2006 at 8:49:29 pm

The solution that karim posted doesn't require Avid to accomplish. Any dvd (set top) player hooked up for capture would work. It does require you to capture the disc and edit it later, but it's certainly a relatively straight forward way of getting the task done. It's not very fast however of finding a specific clip and extracting that.

If Procoder isn't a route you want to try (which works great for this--I do it all the time for talks I give), you might look into StreamClip (freeware). On a PC you would need Quicktime 7 and buy the $19.95 mpeg decoder from Apple to get it all to work, but it can take your dvd content and like you export/cut/split sequences and convert them to other file formats. For about $20 you should be set.

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]