FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need a programable menu script with up to 10 selections.

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ammenj
Need a programable menu script with up to 10 selections.
on Apr 13, 2006 at 3:45:54 pm

I tried my hand at scripting and have to admit that it is very difficult for me... Does anybody know of a script template or is anybody willing to contract to build one?

Ammen

Return to posts index

George W.
Re: Need a programable menu script with up to 10 selections.
on Apr 13, 2006 at 5:37:21 pm

You mean like a jukebox -- making a playlist and then the playback follows the requested list?

Rregards,
George

Return to posts index

ammenj
on Apr 13, 2006 at 6:28:36 pm

Correct

Return to posts index

George W.
on Apr 13, 2006 at 9:56:23 pm

Try this one from Alex Alexzander

http://www.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/page_wrapper.cgi?page=http://www.creativ...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Hal MacLean
on May 11, 2006 at 9:42:30 pm

There are a couple of other options apart from Alex's excellent work.

I recently developed exactly the system that you are looking to implement, where a user could pick ten clips from ten possible. I also have a jukebox system where you can pick up to nine clips from 24 available.

Both these systems use bitshifting to maximise the space in a GPRM, and neither uses all of the GPRMs available. However, there are things to consider...

The restrictions you will face are to do with the number of bits in a register - DVDSP uses 16 bit registers and as you partition these into smaller chunks the values that you can store in each chunk get smaller. If you have a menu with 36 buttons on it and are using the button number to keep track of user choices then you need chunks which could each hold a value of up to 36. At this point you need to think in binary values to work this out. When written in binary, 36 is 100100, which as you can see is six bits long. Therefore, in a 16 bit register you could only store two six bit numbers and have a few bits left over. To choose ten clips from 36 possible would need you to store the values in five registers. This leaves just three to hold the counter tracking the number of choices made and space for calculations to take place. It's tight, unless you can find a way to use the spare four bits in each register... I'm sure it can be done, but it is an ordeal to do! Of course, if you use less buttons on your menu (i.e. are using 16:9 menus, or simply have less clips) then the number of bits necessary to store the choices gets less as well - for example, on a 16:9 menu you can have a maximum of 18 buttons, 18 is a five bit number in binary (10010), so you could fit three choices in a single register.

If you would like to look at the scripting for choosing nine clips from 24 possible it is at:

http://homepage.mac.com/halgernon/FileSharing5.html

Look for a folder called 'Playlist Projects' and it is all in there. There is also a version which randomises the playback choices a user has made.

Unlike Alex's example, this project uses just five scripts the longest of which is under 30 lines of code.

The ten clips from ten possibles was created for a client recently. It hasn't yet been signed off or paid for so I am unable to release it until I am clear about what is going to happen with it. Should you wish a similar system be written for you then I'd be happy to undertake that for you, please contact me off list using hal dot maclean at mac dot com.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]