FORUMS: list search recent posts

live recording from handycam to prerecorded dvd?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matemago
live recording from handycam to prerecorded dvd?
on Apr 2, 2006 at 4:43:26 am

hi, i need your help.

i need to have prerecorded dvds with a promo of our company and the dvd session be left open so i can continue to record video with a handycam and then be able to close the dvd and deliver this dvd to our clients.

imagine this: you are at a bungy tower, you go up the tower, one person is filming you as you jump and by the time you go back to our lobby, you receive your dvd with a promo video and your jump video inside a dvd. the time it takes from your jump to our lobby is about 5min max. so in that time i have to record your video and finalize the dvd so you can see it at your home.

are dvd recorders, like Sony RDR-VX515 dvd recorder able to record live video from a handycam?

i know they can record what is already recorded at the handycam, but is there a way i can record live video straight to a dvd?

the aprox. time of your jump is about 2min max. the promo is about 30min. maybe using a dvd recorder with harddisk inside to store the promo and then after filming you, record both together?

or can a dvd disk be prerecorded with the promo, with session open, so i can just add your video?

can this be possible? all has to be done in 5min max. and i need a dvd recorder that can records at least 100 times every day...

i know there are some handycams that records into minidvds, but this media is still very expensive. and we film everybody who jumps, so wasting 100 minidvds daily is not rentable.

i hope somebody can help me with this. thanks !

Return to posts index

eric
Re: live recording from handycam to prerecorded dvd?
by
on Apr 2, 2006 at 5:22:08 pm

There are a few companies doing this sort of thing for concerts or live events. I read an artcle about it some time back. I'll look around for the artcle see if I can retrieve it. They used a Pioneer recorder that keep the disc open just like you said as it muxed on the fly.

The best way for yourself at this point would be to do this this. Have a project ready to go with the promo in an authoring program. When the persons done, eject the tape, put in a new one, send the tape to capture in MPEG2 then drop it in the authoring program and hit burn.

Knowing DVDSP pretty well I would say after you got the process wired it should take more than 10 mins from capture to mux to your final burn.

It would ecpecially help if you know who will purchase a DVD in advanced

Return to posts index

matemago
on Apr 3, 2006 at 9:18:38 pm

thanks for the reply.

in fact, we film everyone, since the client buys the tape after they jump and sees it with his friends at our lobby, specially because they still have the adrenalin going. =)

do you know an authoring software that can leave the dvd session open? so i can make some tests with recorders...?

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Apr 3, 2006 at 9:23:51 pm

Every authoring program wil let you keep have a project file that can be ammended or changed. Have several identical projects ready to go on your descktop with the intro promo. Then when your done filming, capture the clip you need, drop it into the project and hit burn.

DVDit would be perfect ot iDVD for thw mac.

Return to posts index

matemago
on Apr 3, 2006 at 9:47:46 pm

eric thanks again for your help.

we film about 50 people daily, and we had a top of 300 jumps in one springbreak day, so i think i have to send to prerecord my dvds, so i can buy them a lot more cheaper. last year we bought 80,000 vhs tapes.
so that's about the same quantity i will need of dvds.

can you imagine a way i can record video at the tower and then, maybe trough a network, read that video down at our lobby so i can show you your video and if you decide to buy it, then i can burn it just as you say? i think your solution is right, do you have an idea how many times can i record on a dvd-rw? maybe i can use that one on top of tower and send it down so you can see your jump; if you like your video, then i record it as you say.

i know that if i leave a session open, i can continue recording on it, so i just have to add the video recorded at the dvd-rw to my project and then just burn your dvd.

thanks eric

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Apr 3, 2006 at 10:20:48 pm

80,000!!! Wow thats alot!

why dont you record to a HDD then network that down to where your authoring station is. I'd say this is what you would need:

A way to press record on your camera and when done recording your clip (mov, avi...whatever) will automatically appear on your desktop down below.

At that point all you would have to do is grab that new clip and drop it into one of your projects I mentioned before and press burned - with a fast buner you should have a DVD in under 10 mins easy.

Let me see if I could find out more how this could be done, fast and easy right? :)

go here if you dont get a better response at this site

http://www.videohelp.com/

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Apr 4, 2006 at 7:51:31 pm

Hi matemago

heres a thread I started on VideoHelp.com..Good Luck!

http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1496248#1496248

Return to posts index

matemago
on Apr 4, 2006 at 9:10:06 pm

eric, i really apreciate your help, if you ever come to acapulco, you're gonna have free bungy jumps!!!

thanks man.

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Apr 4, 2006 at 9:41:42 pm

Yahoo!!!

Return to posts index

matemago
on Apr 4, 2006 at 9:59:57 pm

i was reading at the link you provide me, i also think about networking too. from the video site at top of the tower to our lobby, its about 80m. the ethernet limit is 100m.. too close to limit. so maybe i can put a router or hub at the middle to help with the signal.

i was reading about the pioneer PRV-LX1, sounds good, but it cost $5,000! but i need something like that, that records to a dvd, but specially to a hdd and has an ethernet port. the problem besides the price, is that the tower is facing the ocean, and the sea breeze rust everything pretty fast! we change to a new camera every 6 months just because of that.

having the dvds prerecorded with our promo, then adding the footage as you say seems a very good idea, since i only burn the dvd till you see your video, and i dont have to waste a dvd...

the way we are working right now is like this: we have someone filming you for about 2-3mins with a hi-8 camcorder connected to input-1 at a vhs recorder... where we put a prerecorded vhs tape with our promo. as soon as you jump, we take the tape out, put it on a bag and send it down through a steel cable... when you go to receive your video, we put it in a vhs player so you can take a look at it and buy it of you like.

also, the vhs recorder on top, has it rca output running through our tvs down street, so people at the street watchs you jumping...

how about having a minidvd camcorder, which records on minidvd-rw, send it down with our "special steel cable" and using that minidvd to import your jump at the project, then burn the disk?

or is there another recorder like pioneer but a lot more cheaper?

thanks mf

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
on Apr 5, 2006 at 6:06:32 am

We often do live broadcasts using a wireless transmitter and a wireless reciever. Could you not set up a wireless transmitter on the camera and a wireless firewire transmitter on an authoring station, with clips constantly being captured?

Here is one possible way:

1) Make sure you have a reliable capturing application. Take a look at ScLive if on PC
2) Make sure that the promo is rendered and compressed to go on the DVD
3) Create a DVD template project, which holds the promo and some space for titles, which could be instantly changed.
4) As soon as the jump happens, capture the jump via an app.
5) Bring the file into the DVD authoring app
6) Burn the DVD

Shouldn't take more than 5-7 mins on a fast system.

Return to posts index

matemago
on Apr 5, 2006 at 7:28:05 pm

i'm gonna do some tests as you say... can you recommend me a wireless transmiter for the camera? my distance between tower and lobby are about 80m.

thanks

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
on Apr 5, 2006 at 7:33:09 pm

Try this: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MINI-WIRELESS&cpc=SCH&srm=0

It doesn't have firewire output, but it should be good enough for testing purposes, due to its price. But, if you want to spend more $$, call up B&H and they will gladly reccomend a few itmes.

Return to posts index

matemago
on Apr 5, 2006 at 8:42:53 pm

ok, my main problem is with session finalizing time. it has to be less than 5min... what if i use dvd-rw? it finalizes faster right? can a dvd-rw be prerecorded with our promo and then just put that disc on a dvd recorder to add your jump video stream?

Return to posts index

matemago
on Apr 5, 2006 at 8:42:54 pm

ok, my main problem is with session finalizing time. it has to be less than 5min... what if i use dvd-rw? it finalizes faster right? can a dvd-rw be prerecorded with our promo and then just put that disc on a dvd recorder to add your jump video stream?

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Apr 5, 2006 at 8:53:56 pm

Hi matemago

You need to finalize the 2 together unless maybe you want to invest in that $5000 recorder. DVD-RW makes no difference on time. What about doing the work on a laptop at the top of the tower? You could press play on the camera, the clip appear on your desktop, then drop it into you authoring app.

The only real solution I see hear is to use a simple authoring app like DVDit. The only problem lies in how and how fast that clip from the camera can get onto a computer HDD the fastest.

Return to posts index

matemago
on Apr 5, 2006 at 9:19:25 pm

that seems to be the solution. having a 5,000 recorder exposed 24x7 to seabreeze is not an option.

so as you say, there is no difference if i send to prerecord my dvd-r's ? just with the promo part inside, leaving the dvd session open so i can just add the jump video part? same as me burning the two parts from a project residing on a laptop for example?

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
on Apr 5, 2006 at 10:06:07 pm

Hmm...I am going to try this out with something of the same duration. 5 minutes shouldn't be a problem at all. Let me give it a shot this weekend and I will report back.

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Apr 5, 2006 at 10:41:10 pm

You really cant "pre-record" a DVD. It either contains a VIDEO_TS folder or it does not. That Pioneer deck will "hold" your promo for you until you send it the next persons jump and press "finalize". At this point it will mux the DVD.

Another thing to consider is that you want to show the person thier jump when the adrenaline is flowing :) An AVI or mov. clip from a camera source that can be easliy accessed is a great way of doing this. If they like it - pop it in the authoring app and burn.

Hopefully Aanarav's test can shed some light

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
on Apr 6, 2006 at 4:03:48 am

I really wanted to try this out, so I spent the better part of the night testing this:

I took a random 30 minute clip and using Premiere Pro's encoder, exported it as MPEG2. This 30 minute clip is the equivalent of your promo. It took me around 100 minutes to do this.

I then created an Encore project with the opening menus and with the encoded MPEG2 file.

Then, I setup a camera and by using ScLive (http://www.scenalyzer.com) I started capturing 2 minute segments.

Imported a single 2 minute segment into Encore DVD and it took 12 minutes to encode and burn. HOWEVER, I was using 16x DVDs. This is almost double the time of what you are looking for. Therefore, if you can find a way of capturing the file as an MPEG2 clip, such that you don't have to wait for it to encode, you can reduce the time by almost 4 minutes. I don't have the ability to capture MPEG2 source files, but I **think** Sorenson Squeeze does have that feature.

I like Eric's idea though. Burn the disc only if the customer is interested. Capture the footage as AVI, show it to them and if they like it, burn it to a disc. Once you know that they are interested in clip, I am sure they wouldn't mind waiting a few minutes.

Return to posts index

George W.
on Apr 6, 2006 at 11:44:23 am

Here's a cut/paste of my reply to the OP in another forum where the same question was posted. Near the end it has a suggestion for capturing the dvd compliant mpeg2 in realtime (saving any render time)

<<<
My standalone LiteOn DVD Recorder can record a live video feed from my camcorder. For instance, say I have my camcorder connected via firewire to the dvd recorder. I can turn on the camcorder to record, and then hit record on the dvd recorder to capture the live video from the camcorder (I don't have to be recording on the camcorder). I can also hit record on the camcorder to be recording to camcorder tape and simultaneously recording the video to dvd recorder (in case you need a backup).

You would have to have the dvd's pre-recorded with the intro video, then load a new one up for each jump. How much time before the next jump do you have?

The issue might be the loadup time, and the finalize time (if you use DVD+RW discs you might be able to skip the finalizing time). Perhaps two dvd recorders (and an extra person for help). Then as you are doing one person, you could start the load process for the next person using the 2nd dvd recorder?

Another approach would be to have a laptop/computer in the field. Have a project pre-authored so that all you have to do is drop in a compliant dvd video, compile and burn to dvd

Return to posts index

matemago
on Apr 6, 2006 at 5:47:41 pm

i think i found another solution! tell me what you think:

forget about 1 dvd... i'm gonna use 2 cds... one prerecorded, with promo, screensavers, hybrid cd for pc and mac, etc. i'm gonna order this ones with my vhs tapes provider.

then another one recorded at tower in svcd. jut like you guys say.
when you go to our lobby, i'm gonna show you your video. if you like it, i'll give both, in a doble capacity case, with your diploma and tshirt.

that way, i think i can use a computer on top of tower, with two burners, 1 camera using that ADSTech Instant DVD+mp3 .

so i just deal with your video part, forgetting about promo, since it's gonna be in another disk.

i can record everybody, since i dont mind throwing away 1 disk.

the part i still dont resolve is about sending the live video of your jump to our tvs. since i'm gonna have the camcorder connected by firewire, can i still use the s-video port at the same time? or do i need a some kind of splitter?

i really apreciate your help guys, this is really an excellent forum.

Return to posts index

matemago
on Apr 6, 2006 at 5:53:57 pm

by the way, thanks Aanarav for tryin this at home. !

this week i'm gonna start buying all the equipment and as soon i have some real tests, i'll post my results here and the equipment i used so if anybody ever needs somthing like this they can have an idea.

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
on Apr 7, 2006 at 2:03:04 am

[matemago] "by the way, thanks Aanarav for tryin this at home. !"

Not a problem! Keep us posted on how you make out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]