FORUMS: list search recent posts

progressive scan dvd player forces 4:3 to stretch to 16:9 on widescreen tv

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Walker
progressive scan dvd player forces 4:3 to stretch to 16:9 on widescreen tv
on Mar 18, 2006 at 10:10:49 pm

I just got a widescreen tv and I noticed that if i have progressive scan turned on on the dvd it disables the format control on the tv and forces the 4:3 to stretch to 16:9. Is there a way in studio pro to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio locked in, so you can view the dvd that way on the widescreen tv, or choose the more natural-looking stretching option these sets normally use to stretch 4:3 tv shows on to widescreen?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: progressive scan dvd player forces 4:3 to stretch to 16:9 on widescreen tv
on Mar 18, 2006 at 11:11:09 pm

Chris,

First, unless your DVD has been made from either a film-based original or a 24-frame video original, turning on progressive scan does not in fact display as progress scan.

Second, when creating a DVD, if you enable the anamorphic flag, the DVD will display 4x3 on a 4x3 TV and 16x9 on a widescreen TV.

Third, keep in mind that the settings on your DVD player, on your TV, and those you set on your DVD can be improperly conflicting with one another.

Hope this helps.

DRW

Return to posts index

Christopher Walker
on Mar 19, 2006 at 5:27:56 pm

dvd source is non-24p 4:3 mini-dv. I don't care if the progressive scan is "really" progressive scan, I just don't want the player to force it to stretch when set on progressive scan, since a lot of clients are not going to realize they can turn off progressive scan.. My rear-prjection tv has various formatting modes like 4:3 and zoomed 16:9 which makes the image16:9 by cutting off the top and bottom rather than stretching, but with progressive scan on, theses modes are disabled. So I will try turning off the anamorphic flag....

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 19, 2006 at 5:43:08 pm

I think you will find that indeed it is the anamorphic flag that is creating the problem for you. I've never seen the progressive scan toggle switch affect this aspect (no pun intended) of things.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Mar 20, 2006 at 5:54:08 pm

On my Sony progressive scan DVD player, if I want to watch a 4:3 DVD in 4:3 on my 16:9 display (in other words to pillarbox it and display correct aspect ratio) I need to change the DVD player to interlaced mode. Progressive mode in the DVD player always fills the entire screen. I suspect that most other players work in a similar fashion regardless of how the DVD is authored.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 20, 2006 at 6:42:04 pm

Biil,

Humm??? That's funny, I never noticed that. I'll have to try it out for sure.

Meanwhile, I think if most people really understood that progressive scan doesn't really work on stuff that nots progressive, they'd more often get the results they want when encoding or when simply playing on a player.

DRW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]