FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD cover

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susan Wilcox
DVD cover
on Mar 13, 2006 at 5:46:12 am

I am manufacturing my first professional looking DVD for a non-profit agency and am making about 20 copies for internal distribution. However, I want to make the covers as handsome and legal as possible. I have a copyright sign with a name and year and a warning about copying. However I notice that other DVDs have a little logo that says, "DVD video" and has a little disc picture. Is this little logo standard practice to identify the disc as DVD instead of CD? Can I download it from somewhere? I'd appreciate directions about doing this right.

Thanks in advance, Susan

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: DVD cover
on Mar 13, 2006 at 6:24:34 am

Susan,

I have a Photoshop version of what you're looking for. If you email me offline before I go to bed ( in about an hour) I'll send it to you.

greening@shaw.ca

- Don

"Please take a moment to fill out your profile, including your computer system and relevant software. Help us help you."

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Mar 13, 2006 at 12:01:39 pm

Just remember Susan. You could put that logo on there to make it look professional and all but unless your going to get your discs replicated at a facility your not authoring a DVD-Video disc, its a DVD-R Video or +R.

Not that it matters but just wanted to make it clear to yourself and others.

Return to posts index

Susan Wilcox
on Mar 13, 2006 at 3:29:11 pm

A point well taken. Is there a standard way to indicated -R or +R? I understand that -R is 80-90% of the DVD players. (Just grabbed that number out of the air.) Do the commercially replicated DVDs with the insignia work on either type of player?

susan

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Mar 13, 2006 at 5:56:24 pm

Almost all players now will play +R & -R. You shouldn't have compatibilty problems. Just keep your bitrate the lowest you will allow and use AC3 audio as well as good media. I always burned at 1X but there are debates on whether this affect compatibility.

You could find a DVD-R or +R logo on line or just scan it from the media packaging your using.

Replicated DVD will play on most anything but even stuff I rented from Blockbusters has faultered in my players

Return to posts index

kenh
by
on Mar 14, 2006 at 7:29:09 pm

Susan,

Just to reinforce the point made by David. If you are trying to be legal do not use the DVD logo or the Dolby logos or anything that looks similar on your cover. They are both controlled and require specific licenses to be used (usually the replicator has a license as David pointed out for the DVD logo). This will keep your nonprofit out of hotwater.

Aloha,

Ken

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 13, 2006 at 8:16:10 pm

Eric,

In fact DVD-Rs can contain DVD Video, its just that you can't label them that way legally, using the DVD Video logo, which requires a license fee. Replicators pay that fee, we do not, so we are not legally entitled to use the logo. Nonetheless, a TS_Video file burned to a DVD-R that plays on a home player is still a a DVD Video.

DRW

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Mar 13, 2006 at 8:46:57 pm

Well yes and no. When you write a write a DVD-R it does contain DVD Video. However, "DVD-Video" and "DVD-R" are 2 seperate books in the DVD specification with different file structures and different physical attributes.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 14, 2006 at 8:03:02 pm

eric,

The things you mention here are not germaine to the subject matter at hand. DVD video is a file format readable and playable by set top players, and how its stamped or recorded to disc is a different matter. The fact that you can copy and play (on a set top DVD player) the TS_Video file (not copy protected of course) from a replicated (stamped) DVD to a DVD-R is not an accident, and it should tell you something. More importantly, as Ken pointed out, Susan has been left with the impression that its okay to print the DVD logo on her box.

DRW

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Mar 14, 2006 at 8:44:37 pm

Sorry I gave that impression. I never said it was legal - I even encourage her not to use it. I just implied it wouldn't be a big deal if its for internal distribution. For external distribution - that would be a different story. I was just pointing out that just because a VIDEO_TS folder is burned to a disc doesn't make it "DVD-VIDEO". Only when you replicate can you legally use this logo.

I can burn TS folders all day and pay thousands in royalties and it would still be a "DVD-R disc" not a "DVD-VIDEO disc"

Susan, please don't use the logo.

Return to posts index

Susan Wilcox
on Mar 17, 2006 at 5:34:48 am

Thank you, David and Eric, for your informative posts! You have raised all the issues that I was concerned about and didn't want to step into without more information. I understand now that the DVD Video logo goes with the replication license, which I don't have. I can just as easily--in fact more easily--just put text on my cover and disc that says DVD-R Video so that users will realize it is not a CD. That is all I need to do. I just needed to understand what the industry practices were. I won't use the logo.

Thanks again! Susan

Full Duck Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]