FORUMS: list search recent posts

DDP defined?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
DDP defined?
on Mar 10, 2006 at 8:09:26 pm

I submitted my first DLT tape to a replicator, who left me a message that there was a problem with the DDP/Digital Data Protocol. (He's gone for the day now or I would have gotten a better explanation.)

I have no idea what the DDP is. What complicates matters is that it is an enhanced DVD authored with Adobe Encore and eDVD4.

The DVD-R works fine, so I simply copied the same files that are on the DVD-R, onto the DLT.

I used Microsoft XP's Backup utility, and noticed that the file structure of the original contents were duplicated on the DLT. I had stored the DVD files in a specific subdirectory, and the DLT has re-created that same file structure. Would it help matters if I kept the entire contents for the DLT on the root of the hard drive?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
Re: DDP defined?
on Mar 10, 2006 at 10:03:36 pm

DDP = Data Description Protocol. Typically DDP v2.0 is used for DVD replication. It is comprised of a number of different files written to the tape in a very specific manor.

The files written include:
Information about the type of disc, if it should be copy protected and how, etc.;
Info about where and how much data is on the tape;
Data to be stored in the lead-in area of the final disc;
A disc image that has the "essence" of the disc, divided into sectors of appropriate size depending on copy protection requirements, and the UDF Bridge file system.

This is not what you get when you copy the DVD folder-set to a DLT.

Use the DLT writing funciton of your authoring application to make the real deal.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]