FORUMS: list search recent posts

pleas HEEELP!!!! sonic DVD creator....

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alexkirch
pleas HEEELP!!!! sonic DVD creator....
on Mar 10, 2006 at 12:17:33 am

i just bought a dvd creator system. it was an auktion sell without anything....(bid or leave...)
just the expansion chassis, a grey G3 and several audio interfaces.

problem: i really can t figure out wich system i own now... ;-)
on the mac, there is only the dvd creator version 2.17(author/proof/transcoder/encode...)
everytime i want to launch the software, i get the keyerror.

the errorlog only shows me the fusion decoder card and a "usd" (whatever this means)
lets take a look inside the chassis

first card: av processor ( i think.not shure ) this card owns an internal 50pin connector (like the internal scsi conectors of an old mac, and a smaller connector in front of it. there are also two conectors at the end of this card. there are two conectors outside with cables, marked "serial" and "scsi"

second card: its connected with the first card via "scsi connector" i guess its the cable called ribboncable-right?? there is a name on that card: copper assy no 701122 rev F. it has a networkcable conector at the outside (or is it a fibre channel connector?)

thrid card: EMPTY (hmmm...is this the place for the encoder card??maybe someone took it out.....)

4th card: the host card of the chassis

5th card: ethernet
6th card: fusion decoder
7th card: usb card

audio interfaces: 8ch a/d, 8ch d/a, 4 ch digital, 8ch digital, wordclock generator, dvdcreator audio interface (there are just 4 xlr plugs (audio in/out) and one spdif

i ve tried to register online with one of these serialnumbers, but everytime i get a "out of range" error......gggrrrrrrr

what can i do?????
which system do i own???
is it just a big piece of old shit??

i am very confused...please help me!!!

thanks!!!!

alex

btw: if anyone knows a guy calles jon h wenger, please build a contact to me. i think he worked on that system

Return to posts index

Michael Lazar
Re: pleas HEEELP!!!! sonic DVD creator....
on Mar 10, 2006 at 8:23:46 pm

This *sounds* like a Creator system with the external Sonic Audio Interface box and both an SD-series real-time encoder card (the one that has the BNC and VHDIC SCSI connectors on the back) and a Fusion decoder card for proofing only (note that the SD-series encoder card is also capable of proofing so technically you don't need both cards in the system at once). Nice system. You should take a closer look at the SD card to determine if it's a 1000 or 2000 card.

The SD-series encoders (1000 or 2000) require SDI video. If you don't have any video decks with SDI outputs, this system won't be of much use to you - working or not. You also need video decks that are frame accurate and capable of being controlled via an RS-422 interface. Finally, you need AES/EBU audio outputs on the video deck to feed into the exernal Sonic Audio Interface box. [Note with the Fusion card you don't need a video monitor with SDI inputs for proofing - Y/C will do. Though the quality of the video is so much better with SDI.]

If you don't have these kinds of components, this is likely the wrong system for you. If you do, let me know and I'll try to walk you through the hook-ups. It's actually not that hard.

But...you also need a valid Sonic keyfile to enable the software - which is created by running the Sonic Keyfile Activator application (in the folder with the rest of the Sonic applications). It requires that you in turn have a Activator Code - which comes from Sonic. The person who sold you the system should be able to give you either the generated keyfile (which ought to have been in place already) or (even better) the permanent Activator Code for you configuration. Sonic sends this to you shortly after the system is purchased new. If you don't have either you'll have to get the serial numbers off the SD and Fusion cards and contact Sonic. They should be able to help you out.

Then there's learning how to author using a spec-level tools like Creator. ;->

Good Luck!

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Lazar
Likely it's an SD-2000 system
on Mar 10, 2006 at 8:32:45 pm

I did a bit of research and based on what you described it seems you have an SD-2000 encoder and the additional card with the S/PDIF input supports real-time encoding of 5.1 audio into AC-3.

Michael

Return to posts index

alexkirch
Re: Likely it's an SD-2000 system
on Mar 10, 2006 at 9:00:07 pm

would be cool if i can send you some pictures...

you can send me you re mail addy: info@aa-w.com

thanks
again

Return to posts index

Michael Lazar
on Mar 10, 2006 at 9:22:51 pm

http://dv411.com/sd2000.html

Return to posts index

alexkirch
on Mar 10, 2006 at 9:39:44 pm

yep

Return to posts index

Michael Lazar
on Mar 10, 2006 at 10:10:58 pm

Alex -

If you have a key file for just the Fusion card, give that a try. That will enable authoring and possibly (depending on the software options encoded in the key) even the ability to enable CSS and Regions (Sonic charges extra for this in the Fusion systems). This is a fine authoring and proofing system - IMHO - though there's no R/T MPEG-2/AC-3 encoding w/o the SD card.

If the SD-2000 card is really gone - that's too bad. But you say you have the outboard 5.1 processor? It's a rack mountable box with 6 LED meters on the front for 5.1 levels. [I can't find a photo of it on the web.] That might be worth something by itself as an upgrade for someone with an SD-2000 and outboard 2.0 processor.

Michael

Return to posts index

alexkirch
on Mar 10, 2006 at 10:29:49 pm

ok...i ll give a try...i think all options are included, cause its a really big/proffesional replication company. i guess they produce also for apple...
but i think i have to call sonic, cause nothing works thru the online shit...maby because it s already registered. but i havn t any papers, or even user names (an email adress is required for sonic online registration)

the outboardprocessor isn t this one i have.. these are "just" the older sonicsolution interfaces (1xA/D, 1xD/A 8ch, 8ch digital i/o and 4ch digital i/o...)

anyway, i know that the sonic authoring can do much better work that dvdsp.

maybe i ll going to buy a sd2000.... but its soo fu*** expensive

Return to posts index

alexkirch
Re: please HEEELP!!!! sonic DVD creator....
on Mar 10, 2006 at 8:55:52 pm

thanks for your help.
btw: i am a dvd "professional". wonrkin on dvdsp since 6years....
also got the whole outboard equipment. (digbeta, protools audio, etc)

i cant see any sdi conectors on this card :-((((((
the "serial" conector is also a plug which lookes like an external scsi2 port.
but the thing with the fusion decoder card sound good...

keyfile: there are several keyfiles in the sonic preferences folder. seems like someone placed them there for backup use-different folders with date.

i couldn t register at the sonic site...serialnumber is "out of range".
anyway. as it was an industrial auction, noone takes care of anything. no papers, no floppies or cd

Return to posts index

Michael Lazar
on Mar 10, 2006 at 9:14:31 pm

Alex -

When the Sonic software is installed it includes on-line versions of the manuals. Look for a folder called "Documentation" where the Sonic applications are installed. You should find a PDF named something like "SD-2000 Encoder User Guide." This should help you figure out the connections for the SD-2000. The Fusion card should have it's own manual. [You can also find a tutorial here to get you started.]

As far as the keyfile goes, you might need to do some playing around with the one's you found. The currently loaded keyfile will exist here:

/System Folder/Preferences/Sonic Preferences/

It's called "Sonic Key."

If all else fails, you will probably need to call Sonic.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Lazar
on Mar 11, 2006 at 1:13:01 am

Alex -

This afternoon I took a close look at an SD-2000 system owned by one of my clients. It includes the 5.1 encoder option. What I saw was pretty radically different from my SD-1000 system.

There was but one card installed in the G3 with a single SCSI-3 connector on the back (no S/PDIF). The cable from this card was then attached to the largest of three outboard processing units which made up the system. An internal slot in this processing unit hosted the SD-2000 card itself, though all other connections with the card were obviously internal to the processing unit in which it was installled. The two other smaller units were connected directly and indirectly to the largest unit using what I think were SCSI-3 cables. These units provide input and output for AES audio (via XLR connectors) and SDI video (including monitoring capabilities) as well as 422 deck control.

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]