FORUMS: list search recent posts

At-home Disc Replication

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
thirtysevenclick
At-home Disc Replication
on Mar 5, 2006 at 10:33:00 pm

I posted this on the Calf as well, but I thought you guys might have some insight.

I completed a short-form marketing DVD for a business last Fall. They have yet to replicate the project for distribution. Meanwhile, I'm eager to send the DVD out as a demo and, hopefully, land future assignments.

Replication costs are generally based on the amount of discs ordered. I don't need 1000 discs, 50 will do. The per-disc cost for replicating 50 discs professionally is ridiculous. My question: Is there a reputable label software that would allow me to print passable disc labels at home? Further, I have artwork for a 5x4 paper disc sleeve. What would be the best way to create these? A print shop?

I can probably figure this out on my own, but I thought someone out there might have experience with a similar issue.

Best,
Tobin

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: At-home Disc Replication
on Mar 5, 2006 at 11:18:11 pm

Buy yourself an Epson R220 printer for $88 and inkjet printable DVDs. The printer does a fabulous job, and almost every pro I know has one or more. Available at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828103180. And, it would be at home "duplication," not replication.

DRW

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Mar 8, 2006 at 4:47:29 am

[David Roth Weiss] "Buy yourself an Epson R220 printer for $88"

David, I've had two Epson R300 printers, mainly for printing DVDs, along with several replacement DVD trays, and I've found them to be very cranky at accepting the tray. I have to "encourage" the tray to go into the printer. Is the R220 any better, or have I gotten two lemons in a row? (one more and I get a jackpot, right?)

One thing I have tried with some (limited) success is replacing the trays fairly frequently. A replacement CD tray for the Epson R300 printer is available from http://www.compassmicro.com; the product number is 1274077.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 8, 2006 at 5:28:15 am

Bob,

You've simply got to have a slow hand and a gentle touch. Just stick the tip in and the rest will take care of itself.

I've run about 1200 DVDs though my R200 withhout a hitch so far, but of course you warned me about the fragile nature of the Epson disc tray before I started, so I've been very careful all along.

DRW

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Mar 10, 2006 at 12:44:47 am

Tobin, check out the epson refurb store online -- you can get a refurbed R300 for $70 shipped -- little more than the price of the inks, and it includes the CD tray I believe.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]