FORUMS: list search recent posts

Availability Flag for Subtitles and Audio Streams

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Lazar
Availability Flag for Subtitles and Audio Streams
on Mar 4, 2006 at 11:23:39 pm

Greetings!

I'm looking to contact someone who's authored a commercial (replicated) title that used the Availability flag feature of Scenarist to restrict viewer access to subtitle and/or audio streams in a VTS. Please write to me off-list: laz@okeanos.com.

Thanks!

Michael Lazar

Return to posts index

eric
Re: Availability Flag for Subtitles and Audio Streams
by
on Mar 5, 2006 at 5:17:06 am

Since this is a discussions forum I think it might be right to ask your question first. If you need private support call Sonic - you paid 10s of thousands of dollars for your authoring system - I know there support sucks but give it a try.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 5, 2006 at 6:29:34 pm

Exactly- we are not tech support that way. If you ask an actual question it's a lot more likely it will be answered.

Noah

Return to posts index

Michael Lazar
on Mar 5, 2006 at 8:51:50 pm

Sure. No problem.

First, I don't own a Scenrist system and I'm not looking for technical support.

I am investigating a relatively obscure feature of the DVD Video specifiction know as the Availability flag. This allows the DVD author to restrict access to subtitles and/or audio streams in a given VTS on a per-title (PGC) basis. So, for example, a VTS can be created with four different subtitle streams but the Availability flag can - in theory - be used so that one Title (PGC) provides access to just the first two streams and another Title (PGC) provides access just to the last two streams. By "providing access" I am specifically referring to the use of the subtitle button on the remote. There's a similar flag associated with audio streams as well.

[NOTE: One can use UOPs to completely disable access to subtitle and audio streams in a Title (PGC) but the Availability flag - in theory - provides a finer grained control.]

To the best of my knowledge, Scenarist is the only non-proprietary authoring system that exposes the Availability flag.

Now, back to my question: I'm looking to contact someone who's authored a commercial (replicated) title that used the Availability flag feature of Scenarist to restrict viewer access to subtitle and/or audio streams in a VTS.

Thanks!

Michael Lazar

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Mar 5, 2006 at 9:16:09 pm

Yes its an obscure. I could probably answer your question if I knew what it was? :) :)

Return to posts index

Michael Lazar
on Mar 5, 2006 at 9:26:00 pm

The specific question regards player behavior when there are "gaps" in the list of available streams.

For example, if the VTS has four subtitle streams (0, 1, 2, & 3) and you only mark streams 0 and 2 as Available in a Title (PGC), do all the players you test behave in a useful and consistent manner when playing this Title (PGC)? Or, are the results undefined with different players behaving differently?

Michael

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Mar 5, 2006 at 9:41:56 pm

I have no idea....Sorry

Just Kidding :) From what Ive gathered this feature is not required by manufacturers of set top players. Better players will play the disc fine but some cheapos will faulter. But I must admit Ive never had a reason to use this feature....How do you want your disc to function exactly?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]