FORUMS: list search recent posts

eDVD URLs and Mac

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Taplin
eDVD URLs and Mac
on Feb 27, 2006 at 5:55:45 pm

Hi

I'm having trouble getting eDVD discs played through the InterActual player 2.6 to open URLs on the Mac. The same discs are fine on the PC

Any ideas - Macs are G4 with 10.3.9 and 10.4

Many thanks

Return to posts index

digitalideations
Re: eDVD URLs and Mac
on Feb 27, 2006 at 8:30:08 pm

how are you burning your final project (video_ts, audio_ts and eDVD content)? Using the included RecordNow software or pulling the eDVD image into your authoring application? If it is the latter, and your authoring application is DVDSP, you will need to make sure you don't damage the files in transferring them over to the Mac. I think James Manz' review/tutuorial of the project covers that.

Return to posts index

Andy Taplin
on Mar 1, 2006 at 2:09:11 pm

hi

I'm burning the files on the PC using RecordNow and not copying them back to the Mac. As I said the disc works fine on the PC but the URLs do not open on the Mac. Very frustrating!

Thanks

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Mar 1, 2006 at 9:44:04 pm

As I posted before, you don't give much in terms of details. Not sure why your links don't work, because they should--if viewed on a Mac that has the minimum specs to run the IAP application, and the Mac has the software on board that recognizes the file type it's asked to open.

Mac executables and launching a folder require you to format and output from a Mac to work on a Mac. The other file types (including URL's) can be formatted and output from either platform, and the disc should then work on both. I don't have any issues with URL's myself, so I don't know why they don't for you with the information presented. You posted in the DVDSP forum as well, so I am assuming you have that application? If so, you could import the image folder created in eDVD 4 and follow the steps as outlined in my article to format with DVDSP. Instead of outputting to disc, output to your hard drive as a disc image. You can then mount the image on your Mac, and use the Interactual Player to test the project and see if the links now work or not.

Jim

Return to posts index

Andy Taplin
on Mar 3, 2006 at 11:00:14 am

Thanks Jim

I did reply to your post in DVDStudio Pro as below:

"The URL links are launched from a chapter marker at the start of a video track with a 3 sec delay.

After building in eDVD (V4) all the files are burnt to a DVD-R using Sonic RecordNow (V7) as a data disc.

This disc works fine on my PC - it plays on the Mac as well in the Interactual player but the URLs don't launch."

I'll your soulution and try a disc image on the Mac.

Andy

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Mar 3, 2006 at 4:33:40 pm

I have answered you in the DVDSP forum as well. You get more than one reply from me, because you posted in both forums. I responded here before realizing you had additional info there. In any event, I think you have to do more than just try the image creation and Mac testing. I think your potential problem is the delay in launch of the link, and the fact it (IAP) doesn't have time to launch the link while your dvd video continues. I don't know the specifics of how you set your link, other than you put it on a 3 second delay. It's important to know how long your track is, or how long before the next chapter is reached on that track. It's also important to know what action you set for your dvd video with that link--ie to continue to play, pause, or stop. Try the other suggestions I posted on the DVDSP forum as well. URL's work great on both a PC and a Mac, so knowing this additional information might give me the info I need to help you get the same results.

Jim

Return to posts index

Andy Taplin
on Mar 3, 2006 at 5:32:14 pm

Thanks for your help Jim - here's the info I think you need.

The video clip that launches the URL is 6 seconds long. I put a 3 sec delay in before the web link launches so you have time to see the video before the web window appears. At the end of the video it's set to jump back to a menu.

In eDVD the action is set to LAUNCH URL POPUP PLAY.

I don't believe there are any basic issues with the Macs - all are G4s and have Tiger and play DVDs fine.

I'll try the things you have suggested and report back - sounds like the delay might be the culprit. In which case I'll move the chapter marker 3 secs in and take out the delay.

If anything else occurs to you I'd be very grateful for your thoughts.

Andy

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Mar 3, 2006 at 7:38:41 pm

I think the culprit is the delay in launch is 3 seconds, and your clip only has 3 seconds more before finishing. IAP needs time to launch the ROM content, and for whatever reason (mind you, it's by experience, not by some deeper understanding of the operating system differences and the handling of the eDVD content) Mac's seem to take a little longer to launch the links. If there isn't enough time, then the link will not launch.

For a URL, set the window off to the side so it doesn't cover your video. I doubt it will launch so fast anyway as to cover the message on your video, but if it does, having it launch off to the side will keep the video window uncovered (or at least partially uncovered). In your set up, I would set the link at the very beginning (as you have) and set the launch to immediately (0). Make your video clip longer (like 7-10 seconds). I use a slate that says something like--"email/web opening please wait" and set the action to "play" with the video slate directed back to your menu (like it sounds you already have). By doing it this way, your URL should start launching as soon as it opens your video and have enough time to finish launching before the clip goes back to the menu.

Hope this helps. If you build a disc image as I posted before, you should be able to test it without wasting discs.

Jim

Return to posts index

Andy Taplin
on Mar 4, 2006 at 9:39:00 am

Thanks a lot Jim - I'll give it a try and post back in a day or two.

Andy

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Mar 6, 2006 at 1:51:57 pm

[WTS(JManz)] "Make your video clip longer (like 7-10 seconds)."

Using eDVD4, I've been following the advice in Alex Alexzander's COW tutorial for eDVD3: make the timeline that launches the DVD-ROM content four seconds long, with the second (launch) chapter at two seconds in.

My enhanced DVDs play fine on PCs, but I'd like to make them work on Macs. I'd like to know more precisely what you mean by the above advice: If the whole clip is 7-10 seconds long, is the "trigger" or second chapter point still supposed to come at two seconds in? And, if the clip is now 7-10 seconds long, does that have any bad effect on the playback in PCs?

Thanks.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Mar 6, 2006 at 9:57:07 pm

I would have the link launch right away with the start of the clip, not with a chapter set farther into the clip. In my experience, it takes a bit of time for the ROM content to launch, so having it start to launch immediately with the first chapter mark works for me. It takes some types of links on a Mac longer to launch, so having a video clip or still slate timed long enough is essential. 7 or more seconds should be more than enough. You have to have a clip long enough from the chapter mark to have the ROM content launch. If you have a 4 second clip with a chapter mark 2 seconds in, then you probably won't have enough time. I think the reason some put the link within the video clip and not at the beginning is for fear the ROM content will launch before the viewer can tell what's going on. I just find that for the most part, it's not any issue. The content just doesn't launch that fast. In fact, what can happen if you delay the launch of the content is that the viewer can get the impression nothing is happening and start clicking buttons.

Jim

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Feb 28, 2006 at 12:05:02 am

Andy,

Maybe you could give a few more details how you are setting it up to get an idea. They should and do work if done right.

Jim

Return to posts index

digitalideations
on Mar 3, 2006 at 10:59:42 pm

This may have been the conclusion you came to, but try putting in a second chapter of video into your timeline and launching the eDVD event from the second chapter rather than the first. First chapter 2 seconds, second chapter 4.

As an alternative, you might be able to point to a 5 or 6 second one slide slideshow rather than your title.

Return to posts index

Andy Taplin
on Mar 4, 2006 at 9:41:39 am

Thanks

I'll try this is as well if Jim's suggestions don't fix it.

Andy

Return to posts index

Andy Taplin
on Mar 31, 2006 at 5:08:06 pm

Just heard from Sonic that the problem is with version 8 of Flash player

Here's an article which explains why web links are not working on the Mac:

http://player.interactual.com/help/support/articles/0165.asp

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]