FORUMS: list search recent posts

COW Reviews: DVD Authoring eDVD 4 from Sonic Solutions

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
COW Articles
COW Reviews: DVD Authoring eDVD 4 from Sonic Solutions
on Feb 21, 2006 at 4:31:16 am

eDVD 4 from Sonic Solutions

In this article, Dr. James Manz gives an overview and review of Sonics' latest upgrade of eDVD to version 4. This is a major upgrade that brings ''Hollywood-level'' capabilities of adding ROM content to DVD video to just about anyone who authors discs.

Click on the link above to read Dr. Manz' review.

Kathlyn Lindeboom
Creativecow.net

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
Re: COW Reviews: DVD Authoring eDVD 4 from Sonic Solutions
on Feb 22, 2006 at 5:09:37 am

Jim,

What a great review! The new update really shines, and your wonderful review will help many users make that choice.

-Alex Alexzander

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Feb 22, 2006 at 10:38:24 am

What a great review, James. I was so impressed by it that it will run as the lead story in this week's Creative Cow Newsletter.

Please let your wife know that all honorees who have been the lead story get the obligatory "I've Lead the Herd, So Women Really Dig Me!" t-shirt. ;o)

Sorry, Jim. I couldn't pass that one up...

:o)

Seriously, it's a great review and we are proud to have you on the Cow Team.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

George W.
on Feb 22, 2006 at 12:16:06 pm

ok, I'm getting real close to buying this software :)

Ever since Alex's original review(s), and now this new one, it's making me want to jump in...

My concern is the price. We've seen it go from $800 down to just over $100 in a short amount of time. If I jump in today, will I get burned only to find it on sale next week for less? And how are they with upgrade paths?

Thanks everyone for the time and effort in putting together these great reviews...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Feb 22, 2006 at 1:32:30 pm

Computer and software prices drop all the time. It's the nature of the game.

Is it worth it to you to do this? Then by all means jump, if it isn't, then don't.

You will always see things selling for less -- someday. But it's the ones who don't always wait for the lowest price but jump in and create, that do things and build studios and businesses. If it's a hobby, then you have to ask yourself if the price is worth a good hobby.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Feb 22, 2006 at 2:21:33 pm

Thanks for the kind comments.

Alex,

You prior review made my task easier because you did such a nice job of laying the foundation on how to actually use the application. Alex's article is a 'must' read if you are a first time user.

Ron,

I know the t-shirt will impress my wife. It's probably the only time I've lead the herd! Regarless, my wife is the 'farmer', and despite the 'cow' thinking he's leading, he's not. ;)

George,

Like Ron said, the nature of the game is bigger, faster, cheaper, etc. When eDVD 3 was about to be launched, Sonic posted a suggested price of $800. To my knowledge, it really was never sold for that much. It's been some time since I bought that version so I don't remember the pricing details well, but I got it for even less then the 'special introductory offer' of $599. There wasn't an upgrade path per se when eDVD 4 was released, but you could get it for $99 as an introductory offer. I personally never felt I got a 'raw' deal buying eDVD 3 for nearly twice what you can get eDVD 4 for now. It's paid for itself many times over. If you have a need for adding ROM content to your dvd video titles, there isn't another application (that I know of) that beats it, and IMO, the price point is reasonable. If you are in the market for both a dvd authoring application and are interested in eDVD 4, then DVDitPro is something to consider. You get a full version of eDVD 4 with it. I don't have any personal experience with DVDitPro, but I've heard good things about it, and Alex could chime in more about it since he moderates that forum.

I maybe wrong, but I see this as a bridge to the future. HD discs are going to bring the viewer a lot more functionality than was ever possible. It's going to make the 'authorers life' harder trying to blend video and non-video content together. eDVD gives one the ability to start creating more complex titles. Such discs are different than bread and butter dvd video, and requires careful planning so that when the title is ultimately viewed, it has a logical and seamless flow to it. There is some 'art' to the process, but more often it's just plain old careful pre-planning and practice that will make the entire process easier.

Jim

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
on Feb 23, 2006 at 4:30:25 am

Great review. It was extremely convincing that I went ahead and purchased the product for $1.04 (isn't eBay great!)

Aanarav Sareen, ACE
Adobe Certified Expert, Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

digitalideations
on Feb 23, 2006 at 5:44:24 pm

ummm. that was eDVD 3 which is a couple of years old and uses an older version of the InterActual Player. But now that you have it you can go and upgrade from that product to eDVD 4 for $99.

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
on Feb 23, 2006 at 9:08:52 pm

Yes, It is eDVD 3. But, the upgrade is less than $100. So for a grand total of $115 I got what most people pay $200 for :-)

Aanarav Sareen, ACE
Adobe Certified Expert, Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

Tom Volotta
on Feb 26, 2006 at 1:55:32 am

Please, if you need the features eDVD4 offers, cease the hand-wringing and buy the software!

It's only a hundred bucks!

The orignal eDVD option for Creator/Fusion cost $4,000, and didn't have nearly the capabilities of eDVD4.

...Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]