watching dvd on pc and tv has different result

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
macmauro
watching dvd on pc and tv has different result
on Feb 8, 2006 at 1:59:53 pm

hi from maurizio, italy
i edit video on media 100, mac system
then i compress with compressor (final cut)
and i burn dvd using dvd studio pro and toast

the disc i got has different result if i watch it on a computer or on a tv screen by dvd player, then on tv is fine, but when i watch it on computer
the image has a green line at bottom or a strange waves beside
i know this is due to the different pixel aspect ratio and rgb vs pal system
but the question
how can i avoid this difference?
is this possible?
what option in compression setting can i use to have the same performance on pc and
dvd player?

thanks

M.

Return to posts index

George W.
Re: watching dvd on pc and tv has different result
on Feb 9, 2006 at 12:44:11 am

That's probably there on the TV version as well, but because it is in the "overscan" area, you don't see it when viewing on a TV. When you play it on your computer, you get to see everything -- all the way to the edges.

If you look close, you will see that the outer edges of your video are "cut off" when viewing on your TV.

You could crop out that section if it really bothers you -- but keep in mind that depending on how you crop/scale it, you might see even less of your video when viewed on your TV...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

macmauro
on Feb 9, 2006 at 1:15:56 pm

thanks for your help

but i understand that this kind of problem
depends on my video, it's due to a wrong way
i compressed the video
it is not a different viewing between the aspect ratio of tv and pc?
i ask this to understand if any video has this problem
or, as i mean, is a problem on my video.

i acquired the video source in pal 720x576 4:3 format
should i change something to avoid the different viewing on tv and pc?

Return to posts index

George W.
on Feb 9, 2006 at 11:58:04 pm

It could be your capture device and/or method. And also based on your original video properties.

I've seen that garbled thin line on many analog-to-dv conversions using devices like digital camcorders that have an analog-to-dv pass thru feature, or realtime mpeg encoders, etc...

If your source was DV, and you transferred to dv .avi onto your computer, then I would think something is wrong (because the original dv source should have been captured at full d1 resolution). But if you captured an analog video source, then that thin grbled line is pretty common.

Did you look closely at your dvd. Look for something near the outer edges during playback on your computer. Then see if that gets cutoff when viewing on your tv...

Regards,
George

Return to posts index

Rennie
on Feb 22, 2006 at 8:37:19 pm

I've noticed this before on different occations. I just picked up "seamless" the movie and started watching it on my apple 23" lcd and I was discusted at the poor quality of the picture. Finally I couldn't bear to watch it. I put it in my dvd player and viewed it on a crt monitor and it was a whole lot better. I think the film was shot on a super 16 format but the dvd is 4:3? go figure.The picture quality was still not great but it was a huge difference from my 23".

I've created dvd's in compressor which look great on my crt but crappy on the 23" also. I haven't had time to experiment to see what is happening here but I'll post again if I can solve this. I don't get any lines like was mentioned above, just poor defintion. My crt is 1000 line BVM20E1U (with underscan).

I've also gotten discs from other people that looked astounding on the 23" but wouldn't play on my set top DVD player.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]