FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Authoring Advice

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike s
DVD Authoring Advice
on Feb 4, 2006 at 10:10:35 pm

I am currently producing an educational video. The final product will be released on dvd. To cut costs, I would like to author the dvd using DVD Studio Pro and then duplicate copies using a duplication device.

Is this method safe? I do not want glitches or unstable dvds being returned.

Or do I have a professional create the dvd's using higher end hardware and software?

Any advice or tips would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: DVD Authoring Advice
on Feb 4, 2006 at 11:40:04 pm

Mike,

The only way to assure 100% compatibility is to use DVD "replication," i.e. stamping from a glass master, typically with a minimum order of 1000 units.

When "duplicating" or burning DVDs, there are going to be a certain number which will be incompatible with some set top DVD players. That is inevitable. Just a couple of years ago the industry average was 15% incompatibility, thankfully that number has gone down very substancially. Today, when using high quality media, the incompatibility issue has become virtually inconsequential. Maybe its 1 or 2% for most people.

If you do your homework, using DVD Studio Pro and standard DVD burners you can easily create, duplicate, and market DVDs that are very good quality, and without the fear that many of them will be returned due to incompatibility issues.

Hope this helps,
DRW

Return to posts index

mike s
on Feb 4, 2006 at 11:56:24 pm

That helps a lot. Thank you so much for passing along the information and for the quick response. I really appreciate it.

Mike

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 5, 2006 at 12:43:50 am

[mike s] "Thank you so much for passing along the information and for the quick response. I really appreciate it."

Once you get to know DRW, you'll realize that he's just making up his answers half the time....

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 5, 2006 at 1:18:14 am

Mike,

Don't pay any attention to my friend Bob, he's from Baltimore and its obvious he's eaten way too many of those polluted Chesapeake Bay crabs. You know how they say, "there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers?" Well, check out some of Bob's questions sometimes...

DRW

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 5, 2006 at 4:03:14 am

[David Roth Weiss] "its obvious he's eaten way too many of those polluted Chesapeake Bay crabs."

So David, are you cancelling your order for a bushel of crabs?

-- Bob

Return to posts index

Ron Shook
on Feb 5, 2006 at 9:34:39 am

Bob & DRW,

Good work on my weekend giggle guys.

Ron Shook

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 7, 2006 at 2:46:57 pm

[Ron Shook] "Bob & DRW,

Good work on my weekend giggle guys."

As you know, I very much appreciate the advice that DRW and Ron give so freely on these forums. It was just too long since somebody needled David.

Speaking of needling, have any of you noticed that on most shoots, very quickly there is one "butt" of the jokes? It's probably the same kind of dynamic as is displayed on shows like "Survivor," or more tragically, is exploited by unprincipled politicians throughout history, all around the world, who single out Celts, or Jews, or blacks, or Danes.

Anyway, don't blame David for teasing me about the polluted (yet still pretty nice) Chesapeake Bay. He can't think very clearly, breathing ALL THAT SMOG IN L.A.

-- Bob

Return to posts index

Jeffrey F. Krepner
on Feb 8, 2006 at 7:38:36 pm

I got your back Bob, I'm in Baltimore and I can vouch for the quality of our bay. Actually... scratch that, I can't say I want to swim in it, but I do enjoy steamed crabs and crab cakes, so I guess it's okay to eat from it. Who knows? All that I know is I got a "Maryland Style" crabcake in LA and had to laugh when the waiter didn't know what Old Bay was.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 8, 2006 at 7:56:18 pm

Jeffrey,

I'm from New Orleans myself, so I know a thing or two about blue crabs... Crawfish, oysters, and shrimp too... You guys are kind of Ivy League crustacean afficianados by comparison.

DRW

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 8, 2006 at 9:03:51 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "You guys are kind of Ivy League crustacean afficianados by comparison."

"Ivy League" and "crustacean" and "afficianados" in reference to Baltimore? Ummmm, have you ever been in Baltimore????? If you called something a "crustacean" in Baltimore you'd probably get knocked upside the head. And if you called someone an "afficiando" the waiter would probably say, "The gay bars are uptown, Mister." And if you used the expression "Ivy League," you'd probably get, "POISON ivy?"

But at least most people in Baltimore speak English.

Thanks Jeff for coming to the defense.

Another Baltimore story. My sophisticated niece visited, and wanted to make some fancy new yuppie drink which required mint. We drove everywhere (in November) looking for some "fresh mint." The last place we tried, the guy behind the counter looked puzzled and said, "You mean, CE-ment?"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]