FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cram a single layer or go dual?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Cram a single layer or go dual?
on Feb 4, 2006 at 9:03:50 pm

I'm authoring a show that is giong to be on the edge between filling up a single, or going to a dual. I've never ventured into dual layer authoring before and am trying to balance the playability issues of a filled-up DVD-5, vs. a dual layer DVD (which also will cost extra for replication).

I believe I read somewhere that you shouldn't fill up a DVD-5 single layer DVD, as that affects playability.

Does anyone know the logic and the full story behind that? Is it true of mastering from only DVD-R? Would mastering from a DLT allow me to put more material on a DVD-5 safely?

Is there any exact guidance as to exactly how many GB you can/should put onto a DVD-5 to give a safety margin?

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Cram a single layer or go dual?
on Feb 4, 2006 at 11:48:57 pm

Bob,

Since you began asking questions about this project I've been wondering why it is that you are pressing the limits of the envelope? Have you evaluated the project at a slightly lower bitrate that comfortably fits on a single DVD-5???

DRW

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Feb 5, 2006 at 12:15:07 am

Short answer: No. It took a lot of experimenting to get it to fit barely on a DVD-5. I don't want to proceed until I know what the true target size is.

"fit comfortably" -- that's the point. What is "comfortable" anyway? And is it really true that it is better to fit comfortably?

What is more widely playable:

(1) single-layer DVD-5 crammed up with 15mb free.
(2) DVD-5 with less than 4 GB
(3) dual-layer at a higher data rate (but less than7000kbps)

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 5, 2006 at 12:52:59 am

[Bob Cole] "Short answer: No. It took a lot of experimenting to get it to fit barely on a DVD-5."

Bob, Bob, Bob,

This is like saying you're packing up your car for a trip based upon one thing and one thing only, how much you can fit in your trunk. Exactly why are you so concerned with trying to pack your media onto a disc into the tightest possible space? I can't remember exactly what the so called sweet spot is for a disc going to the replicators, but I can tell you that there is a very fair amount of latitude, and it is not the most important factor to consider by a long shot. If you simply lower your bitrate by 5% and the quality is acceptable, you're good to go. I am fairly certain you would be hard pressed to notice a qualitative difference in your video quality with just a 5% drop in bitrate.

DRW

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
vague margin of error
on Feb 5, 2006 at 4:02:37 am

Thanks. Numbers are good. I can deal with 5% -- it's advice like "leave a comfortable margin of error" that leaves me wondering what to do. I'm not even sure where I heard this in the first place.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]