FORUMS: list search recent posts

software for DLT IV

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
software for DLT IV
on Jan 27, 2006 at 1:38:09 am

I'm recording my first DVD-DLT project. Adobe Encore recognized the device without a fuss. Many thanks to those who helped me with this. I have a used DLT IV Quantum (Dell nameplate).

I didn't get any special software with this device, and wonder whether I need some, and if so, what to use. I'm runnning Win XP (obviously from my mention of Encore).

I downloaded some utilities from Quantum, but they don't seem to be of the operational variety, more diagnostic.

Any advice would be welcome!

One oddness: on Encore's Disc tab, it says my project is 4.86 GB; but the "Make DVD Master" window says it is 4.32 GB.

Thanks.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: software for DLT IV
on Jan 27, 2006 at 6:02:02 pm

Bob,

You normally use your authoring software to control the DLT drive. You shouldn't need anything else except perhaps a Quantum DLT driver. To author in one piece of software and write the DLT in other software is an excellent way to cause problems. Some DVDSP users will write DLT tapes using Toast. It can be done if you know what you are doing, but many authors run into trouble this way.

Because PCs count in 1024 bit kilobytes, the capacity of a DVD-5 is 4.37 Gigs.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jan 27, 2006 at 8:21:09 pm

Glad to hear it. But what I was looking for was something very simple, like a way to "look at" the contents of the DLT tape, and a way to format it, erase old files, etc.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Feb 1, 2006 at 5:40:27 pm

Backup software (like Retrospect) will do that for you. If you are on PC, use Windows Backup.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Thanks!
on Feb 4, 2006 at 9:11:41 pm

appreciate the response. I have Retrospect... somewhere.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]