FORUMS: list search recent posts

Big Project, Big Headache!

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hisods
Big Project, Big Headache!
on Jan 25, 2006 at 7:14:35 pm

I posted this in the Encore forum but think it might be worth a shout here as well.

Last year I did a shoot for a software ap, some 300 15 second clips. With audio and looping the video, they are about 40 seconds each. The client now wants to put them to DVD under some 18 categories with some text "stuff" for set top playback on the tube.

I have Encore 1.5 and would consider going up to 2.0 and getting "Total Training" or some such as I would be out of my depth trying to put 18 menus with up to 20 "sub" menu items together.

Is this the way to go or is there, perhaps, a better software ap out there? I don't mind spending the money if I perceive the value to making this job go easily and quickly. There are bucks to be had for the effort.

The initial "run" will likely be a thousand copies so it needs to work! I have a Plextor 708 in my puter and will likely need to burn "glass"(?) or whatever masters. Should I also look at a better (newer) burner? The 708 is almost 2 years old now.

Thanks in advance for all sage wisdom and good council!

Steve

Return to posts index

MAProTulz
Re: Big Project, Big Headache!
on Jan 26, 2006 at 3:02:36 pm

You can't _burn_ a glass master, you'll need to burn a master that you send off to a duplication plant that then creates a glass master. You can also send them the disc image as a file, on something like DLT, and they'll create the glass from that.

It doesn't sound like the discs are all that complex, so any reasonably capable app should do, Encore should be fine. It'll just be a lot of tedium building the discs and setting up the navigation and actions. The fancier you get with interactivity, the more you need to sit down and figure stuff out. If it's just a bunch of video files that play back after a menu button is chosen, or a menu that links to a submenu, it's not that big a deal. Drawing a flowchart of how it's all supposed to fit together helps immensely with getting a handle on an intricate project.

Also, I've been very displeased with the responsiveness of discs built with layered menus, and if there's going to be a lot of selection of items required by the viewer, I'd suggest using Overlay menus.

Dan Roth
Tripp Street Studios
Framingham, MA

Return to posts index

MAProTulz
Re: Big Project, Big Headache!
on Jan 26, 2006 at 3:03:15 pm

You can't _burn_ a glass master, you'll need to burn a master that you send off to a duplication plant that then creates a glass master. You can also send them the disc image as a file, on something like DLT, and they'll create the glass from that.

It doesn't sound like the discs are all that complex, so any reasonably capable app should do, Encore should be fine. It'll just be a lot of tedium building the discs and setting up the navigation and actions. The fancier you get with interactivity, the more you need to sit down and figure stuff out. If it's just a bunch of video files that play back after a menu button is chosen, or a menu that links to a submenu, it's not that big a deal. Drawing a flowchart of how it's all supposed to fit together helps immensely with getting a handle on an intricate project.

Also, I've been very displeased with the responsiveness of discs built with layered menus, and if there's going to be a lot of selection of items required by the viewer, I'd suggest using Overlay menus.

Dan Roth
Tripp Street Studios
Framingham, MA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]