FORUMS: list search recent posts

mpeg dvd choppy/laggy/sticky pans & animation

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dhappi
mpeg dvd choppy/laggy/sticky pans & animation
on Jan 20, 2006 at 6:00:09 am

I'm authoring a DVD that has a lot of animated stills, pans, long horizontal and vertical scrolls and rotations. Much of the source material is rendered from AE, no fields, huffyuv or PhotoJpeg, then cut together in Premiere and frameserved to Vdub and saved as HuffYUV files. All footage is encoded to mpeg2 (mastering preset), VBR 5000-7000 in Procoder, audio to ac3. As far as I know, this is not a field order problem, or at least not in the way I've encountered it in the past.

I have tried about every bitrate, codec, rendering technique from AE, and I'm at the end of my rope. I just can't get the resulting footage to stop the annoying skip/lag that happens intermittenly. I've lowered the bitrate as low as it will go. (Authoring in DVD Maestro.)

If it helps, these same clips seemed to have problems playing smoothly when encoded to other codecs besides mpeg2. Lag seems to happen mostly when the content of the frame changes more abruptly, but it's not the same exact spot everytime, happens less on faster machines, just seems like too much for the computer to handle. However the DVDs play smooth and beautiful the from set-top player that I have. Target audience is mostly computer however, so I need to get it running smooth on computer drives. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Alex
Re: mpeg dvd choppy/laggy/sticky pans & animation
by
on Jan 20, 2006 at 5:33:09 pm

I had something similar to this but it may be something different...

I thought it was field dominance (obviously not an issue for you here) but when I changed it from Upper to Lower or Automatic the same problem was occurring - jerky footage on certain areas of movement - eg a man walking Left to Right speeded up looked horrendous.

I don't know what encoder you're using (you can see below I'm having trouble with Compressor) but if it IS compressor, the problem simply vanished when I re-did the compression to Mpeg 2 by my starting again with fresh settings.

I had customized the vision to alter brightness and contrast and it seems somehow my custom setting got corrupted - when I started again it was fine. The only other thing I changed was the aspect ratio which may have been wrong initially but this wouldn't affect fields anyway...

G5 2gb Ram
Compressor
Source footage from Media 100 exported as QT video files

Hope this helps

Alex.

Return to posts index

dhappi
on Jan 23, 2006 at 2:32:36 pm

Thanks, I'm not using Compressor/Apple, but I did try to use the defaults with no alterations to the profile in Procoder, it didn't solve the issue.

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Jan 23, 2006 at 8:42:16 pm

Is this problem on viewing it on a set top player through a TV?

If So, you MUST have interlacing in there somewhere.

The best place to introduce it would be in the encoder. set the source as progressive, but the output file to interlaced.

Return to posts index

dhappi
on Jan 23, 2006 at 10:36:50 pm

The problem is only apparent on computer DVD players. Set-top looks divine. But the problem is not the "my video has artifacts or combing or is jittery" problem. It's an intermittent "lag" or stutter. Additionally you can't see any evidence of interlacing in the source or the mpeg when opened in V-Dub Mod or any other mpeg viewer.

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Jan 24, 2006 at 7:20:42 pm

ah.

sounds like your encoding settings.

try an average vbr bitrate of 6,000 with max of 7,500

audio should be AC-3 and not pcm or aif.

could also be your media. try a maxell or verbatim.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]