FORUMS: list search recent posts

checking a project without a DVD-R

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
checking a project without a DVD-R
on Jan 13, 2006 at 4:34:47 pm

I'm producing a DVD which doesn't fit onto the DVD-R format. (It is actually under the 4.7 gb single-layer limit, but as I've discovered the DVD-R has a lower capacity.)

I don't have a dual-layer burner, but will probably be getting a DLT drive. My question is about checking the project.

When I produce projects that fit on the DVD-R, I have the "comfort factor" of plunking the disk into my DVD player and checking it. What is the best way to check my projects that don't fit onto a DVD-R? (I understand that dual-layer DVD burners are problematic as master-creators so I've not bothered to get one yet.)

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Arniepix
Re: checking a project without a DVD-R
on Jan 13, 2006 at 5:07:06 pm

I don't know what software you're using for authoring, but you may want to see if it will let you build the project to a folder on your hard drive. I use DVD Studio Pro, & this is part of my regular workflow. It lets me prototype the disk before I burn it, which saves a bit of headache when you realize that you forgot to set the 1st play, or that you've got the wrong button set as your default.

Arnie

http://www.arniepix.com

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
on Jan 13, 2006 at 8:24:39 pm

Bob,
Are you on a PC? If so, create an image of the DVD project and use a virtual DVD mounter such as Daemon Tools to mount and preview the disc.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jan 14, 2006 at 5:28:24 pm

[Aanarav Sareen] "use a virtual DVD mounter such as Daemon Tools"

Aanarav, I'm pretty cautious about installing DVD software because some of it interferes with the DVD burning process -- does Daemon Tools present any problems?

Thanks to all. I'm proceeding into DLT-land.

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 15, 2006 at 3:30:35 am

This comes up a lot and the solution is pretty easy- keep some of the larger assets out of the test build- use placeholder clips. That way you can make sure navigation and logic are perfect. Then test the assets as they'll fit on another disc to make sure the video and audio quality are good. Then build and test the full project on the hard drive and you can be reasonably sure all is well.

Noah

Return to posts index

Aanarav Sareen
on Jan 16, 2006 at 4:38:47 am

Bob,
I haven't had any problems with it. However, I would reccomend installing version 3.xx and not version 4.0, because it has been problematic.

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Jan 19, 2006 at 4:18:48 am

Bob,

I've been using Daemon Tools for quite a long time without conflicts or other related problems. I agree with Aanarav that you should use the earlier version which I haven't used myself because of bad "press."

Dave

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Jan 13, 2006 at 9:34:01 pm

Bob,

One good method is to build the project to a file folder set. You can use your computer's DVD playback software to open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file and it will run just like it would from disc.

Dave

Return to posts index

Dither
on Jan 16, 2006 at 6:16:44 pm

I'm not sure if you are trying to get this replicated to a large quantity. From a replication standpoint, it is usually not recommended that the DVD master to be created too close to capacity. It increases the chances of error greatly. If you have that much content it would be safer to consider doing a DVD 9 or compress the content further. Check with your replicator.

Hellman Production
http://www.hellmanproduction.com

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jan 27, 2006 at 1:09:15 am

[Dither] "From a replication standpoint, it is usually not recommended that the DVD master to be created too close to capacity. It increases the chances of error greatly."

How close to capacity is safe? 4.5 gb?

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jan 17, 2006 at 2:39:25 am

Thanks for the ideas. The only remaining question is how to check the "layer break" without actually burning a DVD-DL. Unless... checking the project on the hard drive simulates that as well?

-- Bob C

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Jan 19, 2006 at 4:12:48 am

[Bob Cole] "how to check the "layer break""

The only way to see how that's going to look is burn a DL disc.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]