FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sonic sd-2000 vs Digital Rapids DRC-1500 or DRC-2500

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
llll--Kia
Sonic sd-2000 vs Digital Rapids DRC-1500 or DRC-2500
on Jan 9, 2006 at 12:42:34 pm

Does anyone have any experience with these two cards, as far as I can tell they are very similar in tearms of features.

The digital rapids card has the WMV option which is appealing, but not essential as DVD encoding is the reason for the purchase.

At a third of the price I wonder what the digital rapids card is missing other than the 'sonic' brand

Any replys would be much apriceated

Return to posts index

Erik Hansen
Re: Sonic sd-2000 vs Digital Rapids DRC-1500 or DRC-2500
on Jan 11, 2006 at 2:29:39 am

I haven't major comparisons between the 2, as I used to work with a SD2000 and now work with several Digital Rapids boxes (for WM9 encoding, not sure which hardware - must be the 1500 or 2500 as it's SDI SD). But I have to say that for my limited MPEG2 testing I have not been impressed at all by the Digital Rapids MPEG2 encoding. The Stream software uses the Mainconcept MPEG2 encoder, and I can't recall all the settings tested. The results that I got weren't horrible, just not as good as I hoped. It was realtime, though. There's supposedly a newer version of the software as well, in another box in my facility but haven't seen the results.

I much prefer the results I used to get with the SD2000, even though I was using an older version of the software and one of the first generation hardware. It did a great job, but MUCH more expensive.

Might want to check the Cinemacraft products as well...

Best,
- Erik

Return to posts index

llll--Kia
Re: Sonic sd-2000 vs Digital Rapids DRC-1500 or DRC-2500
on Jan 11, 2006 at 12:30:45 pm

Thanks for your response Erik. It's always good to have impartial advice from someone who has experience with both pieces of kit. I

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]