FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mpeg 2 encoders

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tyleredit
Mpeg 2 encoders
on Jan 6, 2006 at 3:04:16 pm

My company has asked me to put together a wish list of products for this year. I would really like a new mpeg-2 encoder because I'm not that happy with Compressor. I don't have a lot of expecience, but I have heard that hardware endoders result in better images. I would love to get some advice on whether or not this is true and the best products out there, hardware and software.

Return to posts index

Borjis
Re: Mpeg 2 encoders
on Jan 6, 2006 at 5:31:22 pm

I've been told that compressor is a great encoder.

what is it that you don't like?

is it slow? are the results not pretty?

any hardware encoder is going to be a big investment.
You'll likely spend at least 1,500 to 2,000 for a used one.

Digital Rapids, BitVice and Sonic Solutions SD-500 come to mind for the mac,
though I think the sonic only works with O/S 9

Return to posts index

Arniepix
Re: Mpeg 2 encoders
on Jan 6, 2006 at 6:13:48 pm

I was always happy with Compressor 1.x, but 2.x has some serious issues with mpeg2 encoding.

Most of the software encoders on the Mac side have free demo versions. Download them & run a 5 or 10 minute test movie through them. Make sure that you have lots of dissolves, fast motion, still scenes, heavy texture, etc to give them a real workout. The most expensive software encoder for Mac is maybe $500-600. FWIW, I've settled on MegaPegHD from Digigami.

For hardware encoders you may have to visit a vendor who can build you a turnkey system (or have them pay a sales call?). Digital Rapids, Sonic & Media Press (Wired Inc.) jump off the top of my head, but you might want to do a quick search on Google to see who I've left out.

BTW, I've heard that Procoder & Cinema Craft are both very good on the PC side. But I don't actually own a PC, so I've never tried either.

Arnie

http://www.arniepix.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]