FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting ready to make my DVD but have a few questions.

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Free
Getting ready to make my DVD but have a few questions.
on Dec 29, 2005 at 8:51:54 pm

Hi,
Someone please explain a few things for me if you can.. I just finished my video intro for my DVD in After Effects and will export it uncompressed and import it into my finished Premiere project. I'm wondering what format do I need to export my final video in Premiere so it can be imported into a DVD authoring program?

Also, what is a great DVD authoring program out there that has the creative freedom so you can make your own menu backgrounds perhaps from Photoshop yet easy to use and not so steep on the price tag?

After I'm all finished with authoring my DVD do I need to make a master so I can submit it to a duplication company for copies to be made? Is that fairly easy?

I found a company called Discmakers and it offers services that will author and master your DVD for you, but I'm choosing to do it myself so I can learn and save big cash. They charge quite a bit..

Return to posts index

shvr
Re: Getting ready to make my DVD but have a few questions.
by
on Dec 31, 2005 at 5:14:57 am

You'll want to export your Premier project as a MPEG2 using the Adobe Media Encoder. THey have pre-sets, or you can customize to your preference. You could also export an AVI and then encode that in a stand alone encoder like Cinemacraft or Compressor. But I've found Adobe's built encoder works fairly well on short projects.

On Windows, DVD programs abound - Edobe Encore will do want you want so will DVD Lab Pro.

If you do not have too many copies to put out, duping your own will save you some money. But if you to produce quantity (in excess of 100 copies or so?) Then definitely go with a duplicator.

Return to posts index

Steven Free
on Dec 31, 2005 at 7:12:55 pm

My project is roughly 90 mins long. So what's the best route for a big project like that? I need over 1,000 copies made, so yeah a duplicator is the way to go.

I thought if you export your project out of Premiere as an MPEG2 and import in a DVD authoring program your going to have to export it again as an MPEG2. That's double the compression right? Is that a bad idea?

Thanks

Return to posts index

shvr
by
on Jan 1, 2006 at 6:36:31 am

For a 90 minute show, you'll want to encode at an calculated bit rate of about 6548 kbps, that'll let you encode dolby audio of 224 kbps. If you have alot of menus and stills, you may want to reduce the encoded size a bit to leave some wiggle room. Google search for a bitrate calculator to help you there.

Most DVD authoring programs will not re-encode already compliant MPEG2, so don't worry about that.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 2, 2006 at 7:34:27 pm

[Steven Free] "My project is roughly 90 mins long. So what's the best route for a big project like that? I need over 1,000 copies made, so yeah a duplicator is the way to go."

No Steven, a "replicator" is the way to go for 1000 plus copies, not a duplicator. DVD replication is the method professional DVDs are pressed from a glass master rather than burned as in duplication. Replicated DVDs are 100% compatible, while burned DVDs have about 85% compatibility.

DRW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]