FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best footage to test encoders ?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pierre-Luc
Best footage to test encoders ?
on Dec 19, 2005 at 4:33:06 pm

What would be a good video sequence to test software/hardware mpeg-2 encoders ? Action, high contrast, brights colors, many cuts ?

Thanks!

Pete

Don't fear the tiger, the Cow is near!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Best footage to test encoders ?
on Dec 19, 2005 at 5:15:22 pm

Yep. Though I'd also recommend footage that's like what you'll be using for real- in terms of content and format.

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Dec 19, 2005 at 7:01:36 pm

Pete,

One of my favorite shots to use is where a foreground subject is being followed - either by pan or tracking - and stays mostly in the same place in the frame while the backgound is moving very quickly. It is even more interesting if the foreground subject varies speed and perhaps starts and stops moving. If the background varies with regard to details and contrast even better. Seeing how an encoder handles this kind of shot at a low (4Mb/s or less) bitrate can be very informative. Try it at both CBR and VBR - again with low bitrates.

Dark low contrast scenes present interesting challenges for encoders too. Long slow dissolves between shots with opposing movement are a good test.

Rain falling on a body of water (i.e. puddles in a street) where the camera pans/zooms can be very difficult for encoders - especially if light levels are low (i.e. rain on night time street).

Any video with lots of noise makes good test footage.

Have a good time.

Dave

Return to posts index

Pierre-Luc
on Dec 20, 2005 at 2:50:30 am

Thanks guys for your inputs!

Pete

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]