FORUMS: list search recent posts

Want to rip my dvd to format that is supported by premiere pro without losing any quality?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matthias
Want to rip my dvd to format that is supported by premiere pro without losing any quality?
on Dec 19, 2005 at 12:39:36 am

I made a film awhile back and i put it on dvd and i now want to rip it to a format that supported by premiere without losing any quality so i can do some color correction?
Doesn't matter how big the file will be if i rip it. Just whats the best way to do it and Best quality?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Want to rip my dvd to format that is supported by premiere pro without losing any quality?
on Dec 19, 2005 at 5:17:12 pm

You can certainly rip with any number of commercial, shareware or freeware rippers you'll find via Google but it's not possible to reverse the effects of MPEG-2 compression.

Noah

Return to posts index

shvr
Re: Want to rip my dvd to format that is supported by premiere pro without losing any quality?
by
on Dec 21, 2005 at 5:28:43 pm

You are going to lose some quality re-editing this way. But if you must, be sure to frame serve the MPEG files to PPRO as opposed to rendering out an avi then re-editing.

Return to posts index

matthias
on Dec 21, 2005 at 9:10:51 pm

So I renamed my vob file to a mpg and brought into ppro but its harder to edit than regular captured footage from my cam. How do i fix that and i think when you say frame serve to ppro thats what will fix it but i dont know how to do that. Could you please explain.

Return to posts index

shvr
by
on Dec 22, 2005 at 6:31:32 pm

When I need to edit MPEG in PPRO or AE, here's how I do it:
I load and select my MPEG (VOB, mpg etc) clips using DGIndex, which is basically DVD2AVI, but creates an index file. Then, I load the index file into VFAPI (the frame server,) which then creates a virtual AVI file. You can then load the AVI into PPRO and edit away.

Now, it's not pefect. It's a bit slower editing than a real AVI file, but PPRO doesn't seem to choke on the file, like it does with straight MPEGs.

Frame serving this way, saves you a bit more quality than re-compressing your MPEG file into an AVI with DVD2AVI and editing that way - although that is certainly an option for you if performance in PPRO becomes an issue.

Return to posts index

matthias
on Dec 22, 2005 at 7:48:41 pm

is DGIndex a program. and if so where can i get it

Return to posts index

shvr
by
on Dec 22, 2005 at 11:04:19 pm

Yeah freeware - google both and you should find the downloads:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005...

Return to posts index

matthias
on Dec 22, 2005 at 11:38:08 pm

I downloaded DGMPGDec Version 1.4.6 Beta 2 Executables, is there anything else i need and when i got them what do i do.

Return to posts index

shvr
by
on Dec 23, 2005 at 4:55:11 am

Here's VFAPI:
http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/SupportUtils/VFAPIConv-1.05-EN.zip

DGindex is pretty straight forward. Open you mpeg, select your clip, save your file, then open that file in VFAPI and you'll be frameserving.

Return to posts index

matthias
on Dec 23, 2005 at 8:11:58 pm

Whenever i transport the video file out of dgindex and then pull it into vfapi and then make a virtual avi and i pull it into ppro, ppro comes up with an error that says unsupported file type

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]