FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re: update on dual layer?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Alex Alexzander
Re: update on dual layer?
on Dec 10, 2005 at 3:24:15 pm

Oh they can absolutely make a glass master. And there are a couple ways to do it. One that will yield a perfect result, and one that will not. So unless the replicator wants the extra work, which is not what they do, then you'll be mass producing +R DL discs and I hope they warn you as such.

What they can do, is take your +R DL DVD and copy it's contents to the hard drive and then pre-master it to DDP and set the layer-break with either DVDAfterEdit or Gear Pro Mastering Edition. At that point, they have removed the +R DL media as the mastering source. Of course, in this case, they are now making the choice as to where the layer break is going, and that's not really their call, unless you ask them to do such things.

It's added work, and if they do such things, perhaps they will charge you for their time and effort.

My opinion is, if you use a PC, and the software you use doesn't allow you to create DDP images, then buy Gear and do it yourself. If you have a Macintosh, then DVD Studio Pro can write DDP images right to the hard drive and that can be used as a mastering source. If you want a more robust solution on the Mac, then buy DVDAfterEdit Mastering Edition. I have tested the heck out of this new version given to me by the new sole owner of the company, and it really does work. They really nailed the pre-mastering side. It's so easy to use too. It's actually worth having just for the mastering side of what it does. I may keep an 867 G4 Mac with a SCSI card and DLT around just to write DDP images to tape and set layer breaks.

-Alex Alexzander

Posts IndexRead Thread 

Current Message Thread:

© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]