FORUMS: list search recent posts

update on dual layer?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
update on dual layer?
on Dec 8, 2005 at 8:49:00 pm

I've read the archives about dual layer DVDs, which warned about compatibility issues.

What about an update on this topic? Has the state of the art changed? Are there dual layer burners which create DVDs with broader compatibility?

-- BC

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
Re: update on dual layer?
on Dec 8, 2005 at 9:45:38 pm

I use Verbatim. A lot of people can't play them, but a lot can. I just bought 7 more players, but I have not had time to open the boxes and test them. when that gets done I'll report models and the like.

-Alex

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Dec 9, 2005 at 4:20:31 am

A client has a two-hour show he'd prefer to sell on one DVD. Can I create a dual-layer DVD master (assuming I go out and go a dual layer DVD burner) which a replicator could handle? -- and if so, will my client start to get nasty phone calls from buyers of his DVD, who can't make the disk work in their players? (I will be calling replicators, but I'd appreciate hearing of experiences from other DVD producers.)

The FAQ at DVD Demystified gives a rough guideline as follows:
Single Layer DVD: a little over two hours @ 5 Mbps
Dual-Layer DVD: two hours @ 9.5 Mbps

I don't think 5 Mbps is going to be good enough quality, using my Digital Rapids card and Stream (Mainconcept) software. I've suggested to the client that he consider two DVDs.

-- BC

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on Dec 9, 2005 at 5:38:01 am

Do not replicate a DVD+R DL. You're just making copies of DVD+R DL discs for the masses.

You should master to DLT tape, or DDP image. Either one of those is a far better choice for mastering than any DVD recordable media. DVD+R DL is especially bad for masters. Stay away from it.

What authoring application are you using?

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Dec 9, 2005 at 8:17:30 pm

[Alex Alexzander] "What authoring application are you using?"

Currently using Encore, and have DVDSP4 available, but willing to learn others.

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Dec 10, 2005 at 2:16:02 pm

[Bob Cole] "Can I create a dual-layer DVD master (assuming I go out and go a dual layer DVD burner) which a replicator could handle?"

I have to ask if the disc will be replicated or will it be duplicated? Each word has a different meaning when speaking in terms of DVD manufacture. Replicating implies copies made from a glass (stamping) master and duplication implies copies made by recording (dubbing) on to recordable media.

The best compatibility is always achieved by replication. But for short runs replication is usually not cost effective.

You should talk with each facility under consideration about their ability to replicate or duplicate from a DL disc. My guess is that some of the better replicators may be able to take an image from the DL disc that can be used to create a glass master. I also think you will find that reputable facilities will tell you that duplication of DL discs is not recommended.

The plants that I have been dealing with lately are hesitant (to put it mildly) to duplicate DL. They will do it but will offer no warranty on the outcome.

Dave

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on Dec 10, 2005 at 3:24:15 pm

Oh they can absolutely make a glass master. And there are a couple ways to do it. One that will yield a perfect result, and one that will not. So unless the replicator wants the extra work, which is not what they do, then you'll be mass producing +R DL discs and I hope they warn you as such.

What they can do, is take your +R DL DVD and copy it's contents to the hard drive and then pre-master it to DDP and set the layer-break with either DVDAfterEdit or Gear Pro Mastering Edition. At that point, they have removed the +R DL media as the mastering source. Of course, in this case, they are now making the choice as to where the layer break is going, and that's not really their call, unless you ask them to do such things.

It's added work, and if they do such things, perhaps they will charge you for their time and effort.

My opinion is, if you use a PC, and the software you use doesn't allow you to create DDP images, then buy Gear and do it yourself. If you have a Macintosh, then DVD Studio Pro can write DDP images right to the hard drive and that can be used as a mastering source. If you want a more robust solution on the Mac, then buy DVDAfterEdit Mastering Edition. I have tested the heck out of this new version given to me by the new sole owner of the company, and it really does work. They really nailed the pre-mastering side. It's so easy to use too. It's actually worth having just for the mastering side of what it does. I may keep an 867 G4 Mac with a SCSI card and DLT around just to write DDP images to tape and set layer breaks.

-Alex Alexzander

Return to posts index

Patrick Aubry
on Dec 21, 2005 at 2:47:56 am

My replicator does'nt wont to work with DL either. In fact, they work on dvd-5 only with Tayu...DVDs and a pionner burner. The BEST: gave them an image on a hard drive if you can't afford a DLT, if they take that.

We gonna have troubles with HDdvds before we can master from dl discs! :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]