FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having trouble making DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian McGovern
Having trouble making DVD
on Dec 7, 2005 at 2:01:34 am

I have a job done in AE at a 16 x 9 size (864 x 486 square pixels). The wide screen looked has no letterbox bars when burned to a DVD with idvd. It fits a TV great. I'm looking for better quality though. It seems that idvd is nice at the best quality setting, but I would like to get it better. I have Compressor from Apple and Cleaner. It seems all the settings in Compressor and Cleaner are fixed to 720 x 480 and I can't output at the original 864 x 486. Is Studio Pro a better option? Is there a better way?

A little concerned.
Brian

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: Having trouble making DVD
on Dec 7, 2005 at 9:31:13 pm

If you resize your AE comp to 720x480 pixels without constraining proportions you will get anamorphic footage suitable for making a DVD in any standard DVD encoder. Just make sure you set the 16x9 flag when you encode.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Brian McGovern
on Dec 8, 2005 at 2:37:16 am

Thanks for answering, but I'm confused. If I resize my 864 x 486 QT to 720x480, everything will be distorted. I'll have circles that will be ovals. ...or are you trying to say to reduce...let's say 864 to 720 and let the height of my original size reduce proportionately to 405? Of course, I would have to change 405 to the closest number divisible by 16 for an mpeg. right?

Why does Compressor have 16;9 mpeg options that won't work for me? Do I need to be in Final Cut Pro for this to work? How do they make widescreen movie mpegs at 16 x 9 without changing to 720x480?

If you have time, Id love a response, Thanks
Brian

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Dec 8, 2005 at 5:06:03 am

Perhaps you should read the link provided below:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/understanding_16_9.html

This should put things into perspective for you (pun fully intentional)

- Don

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Dec 8, 2005 at 7:23:32 pm

Brian,

A 16x9 widescreen DVD is made using 720x480 anamorphic footage. If you look at the anamorphic image, it will be distorted -- people will appear very thin, and circles will be distorted. That is what you want! When an anamorphic image is displayed on a 16x9 aspect video display, it will fill the screen and "unsquish" so that the circles are round and people appear normal. Just make sure to check the 16x9 setting in the encoder so that the DVD player will handle the anamorphic footage correctly.

Sorry, but I can't help you out with Compressor or Final Cut Pro issues as we do not use them.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Brian McGovern
on Dec 9, 2005 at 2:44:20 pm

Thank you very much for your insight. I would rather use actual size with square pixels for al the approval process I have to go through. But in the future, just so I understand you correctly, I make all my footage 720 x 480 a anamorphic (0.9) and then export 16:9 if I want widescreen?

I use After Effects. Why are there HD settings at 1090 width if we are stuck at 720 width?

Brian

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Dec 9, 2005 at 6:42:03 pm

[Brian McGovern] "Why are there HD settings at 1090 width if we are stuck at 720 width?"

You are confusing High Def (HD) and Standard Def (SD) at 16:9. Your project is intended for standard def display - eg. letterboxed on a normal tv set?

Dave

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Dec 9, 2005 at 8:49:09 pm

Unless you are doing HD-DVD, you want 720x480. After Effects does everything from web graphics up to 2K cinema (maybe even 4K cinema). It's the swiss army knife of motion graphics, so you need to be careful that you are working with the appropriate frame size & rate for your application.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]