FORUMS: list search recent posts

Taking the next step in the DVD business - Dilema when buying equipment

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Huggett
Taking the next step in the DVD business - Dilema when buying equipment
on Dec 6, 2005 at 1:06:55 am

Hey guys

I have a bit of a dilema that i hope to solve with some of your wisdom.

I am running a small home based business producing motion graphics and DVD Production. The business is doing reasonably well considering that i also have a full time job working in a TV station. I handle most calls from my cell phone whilst at work and pick up most jobs on my way home from work. I then work on them in the spare hours that i have.

This is working well, but im ready to start making more of my home based business and go full time in the next year (2nd half of the year). I have a web designer redesigning my website and i will be using a company to Optimise my website to generate more traffic. I have a mailbox campaign planned in the next month or two to generate extra work and also advertised in the business directories. There is still more to do, but i believe this is a good start.

The majority of my work is DVD production. I subcontract another company to duplicate the discs. They do a very good job, but i now would like to keep this function with me. So i am looking at purchasing some expensive equipment, but don't know what yet to buy. I have a budget of $20k.

The options i have are
(prices are Australian dollars)
a. Purchase an automatic Disc Printer (Everest II) with upto 300disc bin($15k) and with it comes for free a 7 stack DVD tower (manual).
b. Purchase an auto 2 x DVD burner and Everest II printer which has a 50 disc bin ($18500K) or
c. Purcahse an auto DVD burner and Everest II printer with a 300 disc bin ($19500)

At the moment i am still working a full time job and the auto options seem the way to go, however the fact that there is a single burner with a 300 bin or dual burners with 50 bin mean that big jobs may take longer than the 7 stacker and being a disc monkey.

The previous jobs have been between 2 and 100 duplicates, but i would like that number to increase.

Can anybody suggest an option or provide any experience in this matter.

Thanks
Chris

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Taking the next step in the DVD business - Dilema when buying equipment
on Dec 6, 2005 at 2:00:30 am

Hm- not quite sure what the issue is. If you have the 20K can you not get the full auto one and be set for the future? Overnight unattended DVD burning is my favorite.

Noah

Return to posts index

Chris Huggett
on Dec 6, 2005 at 3:57:00 am

Hi Noah

Thanks for the post.

I guess im just after experiences from pros like yourself.

Would you buy printer and single burner that could do upto 300 discs unattended with 1 burner...... would you buy a printer and burner that could only do 50 discs unattended but with 2 burners.... or would you buy a printer and then a 7 burner which is not auto loading and be a disc monkey feeding discs.

Cheers
Chris

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 6, 2005 at 7:10:14 am

Kinda depends on the burner speed. This is a math question more than an expert preference question. An 8X burner can do a disc in 10-15 minutes. So that running unattended overnight would probably do well for these sort of runs. I'd check with the makers, I'm sure there's a model that gives you the speed and capacity you're looking for. Again, I'm a huge fan of fully unattended burning.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]