FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a Resume Script from one Track to a Previous Track

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chrisrgr
Creating a Resume Script from one Track to a Previous Track
on Nov 8, 2005 at 10:04:13 pm

My project uses buttons over video that link to other tracks in my DVD so that the viewer can be explained more information. I need a way to link the viewer back to the previous track viewed so they can continue watching the DVD where they left off.

I have tried playing around with the GRPM counter and Resume command but have not been able to get anything to work. I know the Resume command is for menus but is there a way that I can get the same feature that would work going from one track back to the previous one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
Re: Creating a Resume Script from one Track to a Previous Track
on Nov 9, 2005 at 4:39:09 pm

Try using GPRMs to store PTT info (and maybe title number) prior to the jump. Use this info for conditional links (or jumps) back to original PTT. This may require the use of several dummy PGCs as the logic could become quite complex depending on the scenario.

What is your authoring program?

Dave

Return to posts index

chrisrgr
on Nov 9, 2005 at 7:05:17 pm

I'm using DVDSP 4.0 - so the resume command can only be used for menus?

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Nov 9, 2005 at 8:11:03 pm

[chrisrgr] "so the resume command can only be used for menus?"

I think that restriction applies only to slide shows. You should probably take this question over to the Cow's DVDSP forum and ask.

Have you tried using jump commands to get you to where you need to go?

Dave

Return to posts index

chrisrgr
on Nov 9, 2005 at 8:14:34 pm

I can use a jump command to get to the track but I need away to get back to the orginal track

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Nov 9, 2005 at 9:51:18 pm

Is the "more information" track used more than once? If not then set the track's end jump to go back to the "from" track/chapter.

If the more info track might be entered from a number of different places you will have to set a gprm to something that indicates where we came from. Then create a script that will evaluate the "where from" gprm and jump accordingly. This script will have to be run by the end jump of the more info track.

Useful?

Dave

Return to posts index

chrisrgr
on Nov 11, 2005 at 6:51:27 pm

Sorry for the delay, Yes these more information Tracks are used more than once and can be entered from various locations on the DVD. The script would be easy to write if I could figure which SPRM I needed to use to link back to the location of the last track viewed. All the SPRMs I see only define the "track in general" and "chapter". From what I have been reading I don't think this type of operation can be done unless duplicating the info tracks so that each info track directly relates to the main track that uses it...

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Nov 12, 2005 at 10:01:11 pm

Try creating a "dummy" track to be used to set a gprm with the info you need to return.
Any given dummy will only be used by one button.
The button over the video connects to the dummy track, the pre-script of the dummy sets a gprm with a numeric code - whatever makes sense to you and then connects to the the "more info" track.
The more info track has end end script that evaluates the gprm you set at the dummy, use the jump on a conditional functionality. You need one conditional statement for each track that might use the more info track. Only one of the conditionals will be true and so you connect back where you came from.

Make sense?

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]