FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timecode on DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JJJ3rd
Timecode on DVD
on Sep 30, 2005 at 1:33:11 pm

I am struggling to put SMPTE TC on one of the surround channels of a DVD so that I can send it to a show controller while maintaining a clean Stereo Mix. I have tried sending it to the center and to the Left surround using Compressor 2.01 and DVD Studio Pro. My results are Timecode bleeding profusely. Am I doing something wrong or just wasting my time?

Return to posts index

Borjis
Re: Timecode on DVD
on Sep 30, 2005 at 4:07:58 pm

are you compressing it?

I would think it wouldn't work at all unless its uncompressed .pcm

Return to posts index

JJJ3rd
on Sep 30, 2005 at 5:56:42 pm

no compression on the tracks. I am now trying the sub woofer channel without the low pass filter on it.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 30, 2005 at 4:11:05 pm

5.1 is automatically downmixed to stereo on any non 5.1 system so it's pretty much impossible to keep anything in the surrounds discrete. I'd advise creating an alternate audio track instead with the SMPTE time code in it- that way you can switch back and both.

Noah

Return to posts index

JJJ3rd
on Sep 30, 2005 at 6:03:56 pm

alternate track won't fulfill my clients needs. they need to read the TC on some sort of controller at the same time as feed the stereo signal to their board.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 30, 2005 at 10:52:10 pm

Then go PCM...

Noah

Return to posts index

JJJ3rd
on Sep 30, 2005 at 11:24:40 pm

Thank you. Do you have a suggestion for an easy to use software program to do this with?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 1, 2005 at 6:47:07 am

DVDSP- check out the manual regarding PCM.

Noah

Return to posts index

JJJ3rd
on Oct 2, 2005 at 11:57:03 pm

Thank you for your assistance. I did create a sound group using PCM but the time code that was sent to the rear still bled into the front and the mix from the front corrupted the TC. I think I am at the point of calling an audible and insisting on additional decks and a controller.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 3, 2005 at 4:23:26 am

that would be the better call- relying on DVD for TC critical stuff is an invitation to trouble.

Noah

Return to posts index

Michael D. Brown
on Oct 6, 2005 at 12:26:54 pm

We have used a DVD recorder to make window dubs for scoring prints. Scratch mix on ch 1, TC on ch 2. Seems to work well as a chase for ProTools. I've never tried to do this with software.

Mike Brown
Video/Film Producer
American Heart Association

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]