FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bitrate vs. Bliprate

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JasonR
Bitrate vs. Bliprate
on Sep 29, 2005 at 12:30:56 pm

I have wasted about 15 dvd's trying to get this 68 min, 13 sec (total including menus and other clips) video burned. I have calced the bitrate and burned at various bitrates. I have toggled between PCM and AC-3 audio. I have burned at a file size under 4GB. I am still getting blips in the picture and sound of the burned product (I have also burned at speeds from 1X to 8X). This isnt the first time burning for me and I have never had this much trouble. Can anyone offer some advice or suggestions? The clips are avi files, are mpg2's better? I'm slowly losing it. Please help.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Bitrate vs. Bliprate
on Sep 29, 2005 at 4:42:05 pm

Jason,

1. You've not bothered to mention the software you're trying to use, and that wastes everyone's time. Since all DVDs are MPEG2, your AVI is being encoded by the mysterious program you haven't mentioned -- no one can tell you if this is the source of your issues without knowing which program you're using.

2. The objective of DVD ceation is not just to fit the project onto the DVD -- the max bit rate should be between 6.5 to 7.0Mbps or you will get the skipping you've encountered.

3. Always use AC3 audio encoding.

DRW

Return to posts index

JasonR
on Sep 29, 2005 at 5:04:39 pm

Terribly sorry to waste your time. I must have failed to mention in my frustration. I use DVD architect 2.0.

Just an update. I re-rendered the file to mpg2 format as opposed to avi. The file size was much smaller, which allowed me to burn at 9.8 Mbps, the max allowed by DVD Architect. I just finished reviewing the disc and it had no errors or blips. This was with PCM audio.

By the way Dave, I don't have the expertise or experience you do. That is why I posted. Please keep in mind that people come here for help, not rude and insulting comments.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 29, 2005 at 5:55:05 pm

Jason,

Don't take it personally, just learn from the experience. The reality is that asking for informed help requires that you provide basic information so we can help. Please understand, there are a zillion frustrated people who do the same thing everyday, and it really frustrates those of us who want to help, because we have to exchange additional messages just to get the most basic information. Do that over and over again and it gets old fast...

You evidently did not understand what I said before about max bit rate. Just because you can fit the project on disc at 9.5Mbps, that isn't the goal. That bit rate is too high and your disc will not play correctly in many DVD players. It is a common mistake to shoot for the highest bit rate, imagining that it is best, when it fact it causes problems.

Also, as I said before, always encode audio to AC3. It is the industry standard because it yileds minimum file sizes, keeps overhead to a minimum, but at no hit on quality.

Hope this helps...

DRW

Return to posts index

Jason Casey
on Sep 29, 2005 at 8:33:14 pm

which allowed me to burn at 9.8 Mbps

This is WWWWAAAAAYYYYY too high! Just because that is the max bitrate you can use...doesn't mean you should use it. You are probably going to have a bunch of people saying that they can't play your discs...or that it crashes or starts to stutter on their players. There is usually no need to go over 5 or 6 Mbps as long as you start with good quality video and use a good encoder.

Return to posts index

JasonR
on Sep 29, 2005 at 8:44:06 pm

What is the best encoder? Do you have to buy software to use the encoder, or is it like a driver? What is the relation of the codec?

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Sep 30, 2005 at 4:13:44 pm

I would recommend you do some reading here.

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

It will quickly get you up to speed and answer
nearly any question you could have.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]