FORUMS: list search recent posts

chapters are not rendered if I produce an MPG2 despite selecting the correct option

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph
chapters are not rendered if I produce an MPG2 despite selecting the correct option
on Sep 23, 2005 at 2:10:58 am

chapters are not rendered if I produce an MPG2 despite selecting the correct option,

I want to play the MPG2 as a DVD directly from my hard drive for a presentation { rather than from a disc, }

how ever, it seems that Windows media player finds no chapter markers from the MPG2 file, but it does from the DVD

help appreciated

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
Re: chapters are not rendered if I produce an MPG2 despite selecting the correct option
on Sep 23, 2005 at 6:06:26 pm

Joseph,

Are you playing the mpeg file or a DVD file-set (ie. VIDEO_TS folder or an *.IFO)? Chapter info is part of the DVD authored file-set and is not "included" in an mpeg file.

When I play a VIDEO_TS with Windows Media Player 10 it navigates chapter marks perfectly.

Dave

Return to posts index

Joseph
Re: chapters are not rendered if I produce an MPG2 despite selecting the correct option
on Sep 23, 2005 at 9:13:26 pm

Thank you

I am playing the MPG2 file, not (ie. VIDEO_TS folder or an *.IFO

because when I render from Vegas on my desk top, I dont see how to make a video_ TS

I think the Video TS is what you make in Architect, if I am not mistaken
I dont klnow what an *IFO is

I make the MPG2 on my desktop, & transfer it to my note book & paste it on the desktop
Windows media player will open it but plays it only was one huge video

I would appreciate more information so I can make this presentation with properly authored chapters otherwise I have to make a DVD & play this with a DVD player

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Sep 23, 2005 at 11:07:34 pm

Joe,

The chapters aren't contained within the mpeg file, that's why you have one long video stream. When you create a dvd, the application that does that for you takes your mpeg file and packages into a folder--VIDEO_TS. Inside that folder are your mpeg file (now contained in files with a .vob extension) and text/informational files (ifo and bup) that tell your computer (or set top player) how the dvd should play, chapter marks, menu button colors, etc. Without that extra bit of info, your computer doesn't know what to do with the mpeg file except to just play it. If you create a dvd with your file, and drag and drop the VIDEO_TS folder over to your HD or desktop, then you could point Windows Media Player or other software dvd player to play the contents of that folder. You should be able to use the chapter marks that way.

Jim

Return to posts index

Joseph
on Sep 23, 2005 at 11:23:03 pm

I managed to open a DVD on my desk top PC & play through it in Windows media, until it crashed until some apparent plug in problem.....

I think I am beginning to understand, but it seems to me that you have to produce the DVD files within DVD Architect then?

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Sep 24, 2005 at 3:55:45 am

Yes, you would have to produce the files from DVD-A.

Jim

Return to posts index

Jason Casey
on Sep 28, 2005 at 9:04:04 pm

To do this in DVD Architect when you go to make the master select Prepare instead of burn and then it will make the VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive with all the .vob .bup and .ifo files and then if you play that through windows media player then you should be able to keep all the chapter points.

Return to posts index

Joseph
on Sep 28, 2005 at 9:40:18 pm

Thank you Sir

I amking this for my medical video slide show, as I dont want to use low quality wmv videos

I have actually done this, & I noted some intersting things, I guess only point 1 is where I expect your valued comments

1. That the disc in a DVD player scrolls through the chapters with almost no delay, like a powerpoint presentation, how ever, fom the computer hard drive, [ Centrino with 2gb ram) there is a significant delay which would annoy my audience

2. The Data projector, responds to a DVD movie as though the computer is a DVD player, so that even when the movie is minimised, no other, images from the computer screen will show through the projector, unless I actually CLOSE Windows Media player

All this is annoying, so for my presentation I am using both PC & DVD player

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]