square or not to square

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
s!
square or not to square
by
on Sep 19, 2005 at 8:25:45 am

Hello.

I'm making files in photoshop that will be used by someone else(ie Client) for DVD menus. The DVDs are Pal 3:4. Should I make my files 768 x 576 square pixels and then convert to DV pal aspect ratio? or sqwish to 720x576 pal square? Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks in advance. Your all really cool!

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: square or not to square
on Sep 19, 2005 at 5:07:27 pm

Design at 768x576 and then resize to 720x576 without constraining proportions. But if you are designing menus for a DVD that someone else will author, always touch base with them on specs first, just to make sure that what you are doing works with the software they use.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

s!
by
on Sep 20, 2005 at 12:29:44 am

Thanks bill!

My client has asked for me to supply files 720 x 576 square pixels. So I shall do this. But It seems to me, that if a file of these specs is converted to dv pal aspect ratio, the imagery would be stretched, lowering the quality. Am i miss understanding how this works?

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Sep 20, 2005 at 3:50:59 pm

When correctly prepared artwork is seen on a video screen, it will appear the same as what you designed before you resized the artwork (the video screen will match the 768x576 pixel version). This is particularly noticeable if your artwork contains any circles, which become ovals if the artwork is not handled correctly. All of this happens because the pixels end up as being not square when displayed on a video monitor, due to the physical height of the scan lines. The pixels are wider than they are high in PAL and higher than they are wide in NTSC displays.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

s!
by
on Sep 20, 2005 at 11:38:13 pm

Thanks Bill!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>