FORUMS: list search recent posts

IRE Levels for DVD

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
OnQ Film
IRE Levels for DVD
on Sep 16, 2005 at 6:40:13 pm

My client has still frames within a DVD presentation. There are matching stills used as menus throughout the presentation. My problem: The menus are maxed out at full RGB (white - 255). When I use the similar stills as part of the DVD footage, and had to ramp their levels down, and even at 115% IRE, they appear much grayer than the menus.

What is the max IRE levels for a still used in footage? 90% of the area of these stills are white....so it affects virtually the entire screen.

Marty
OnQ Film

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: IRE Levels for DVD
on Sep 16, 2005 at 8:16:24 pm

Your white level in the artwork needs to be RGB 235 maximum, which equals 100 units of luminance in NTSC video.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

garyh357
Re: IRE Levels for DVD
on Sep 22, 2005 at 2:15:47 pm

Just a tip. I've had to mix quite a few photos and photoshop created graphics with real video on a project where white was the theme for all the product shots and graphics. I simply created a photoshop action that included only a "levels" adjustment. Then I used the automate function to batch the levels adjustment to entire folders of pics and graphics. I knew the whites were 255 and blacks were 0 on all the pics and graphics so I simply set the levels to max white (in my case I was matching 90 units so it was 229. In your case, you'll want the full 100 units for max whiteness so you'll use 235), and I also set the black to 16. 235RGB Max and 16RGB Min are broadcast safe for NTSC video.

Thanks,
Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]