FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVDSP to DLT - a scsi problem???

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sessan
DVDSP to DLT - a scsi problem???
on Sep 14, 2005 at 10:46:01 am

Hi there,
In order to print a DVDSP project with CSS included we need to print the project to DLT before sending it to the copy plant. So I've been told. A couple of questions:

1. Is it true that the CSS flag can not be included if we burn the project DDP 2.0 to disc?

2. If we need to hire a DLT machine - any ideas of which scsi card we can use for this in our Mac? We've got a G5 and DVDSP 4.

I'd be most grateful for clever answers.

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
Re: DVDSP to DLT - a scsi problem???
on Sep 14, 2005 at 1:39:55 pm

Question:

In order to print a DVDSP project with CSS included we need to print the project to DLT before sending it to the copy plant. So I've been told. A couple of questions:

1. Is it true that the CSS flag can not be included if we burn the project DDP 2.0 to disc?

Answer:

It is true that you cannot burn a VIDEO_TS based DVD with CSS to a DVD-R. That doesn't mean you have no options besides DLT however. There is a choice, but you need to discuss it with your replicator.

Within DVD Studio Pro, you can format the project to Hard Drive, and then select DDP2.0 rather than the default .IMG. THis will format a DDP2.0 Image to a folder within the hard drive. Inside that folder, you will see three files.

1. CONTROL.DAT
2. DDPID
3. MAIN.DAT

The MAIN.DAT file is essentially your entire VIDEO_TS crammed into a single image file. It will be about as large as your entire DVD-5 project, if this is a DVD-5. If it is a DVD-9, this is slightly different. In a DVD-9, Formatting to hard drive, and choosing DDP2.00 will result into two folders, i.e., layer 0, and layer 1. Each of these folders will contain the required DDP2.0 files, which include MAIN.DAT for each of the two layers.

Now, you can use Toast to burn these images to a DVD-R if you use the DVD-ROM DATA UDF setting. Do not use ISO9660, as as a file system, it cannot hold a file as large as the MAIN.DAT file can be.

So for example, if you had a DVD-9 project, and you wanted to add CSS, and Region control, and wanted replication, but didn't own a DLT, you could use this process if your replicator can accept it.

Use the Format option, select Hard Drive, as destination, rather than your built in DVD drive. Then choose DDP2.00 rather than .IMG. Pick a location on your hard drive, and press Format. That will leave you with a single folder for a DVD-5 project, or two folders for a DVD-9 project.

Open Toast, select Advanced, and then select DATA. Use the DVD-ROM (UDF) open, and then drag in the layer 0 folder. Burn this DVD-R, and label it accodingly. DO the same for the second folder if you have on.

Question #2

2. If we need to hire a DLT machine - any ideas of which scsi card we can use for this in our Mac? We've got a G5 and DVDSP 4.

Answer:

The SCSI card I use is from a company called ATTO tech. Their web site is as follows:

http://attotech.com/

Now, on this web site they have various cards and varying driver revisions that you can choose from, but for the G5, there has been issues, and so I recommend a specific driver revision for all Macintosh G5 owners.

This is a web link to the SCSI card I recommend:

http://attotech.com/ultra3s.html

Once you have purchased and are ready to install this card in slot #2 of your G5, here are some steps you

Return to posts index

sessan
Re: DVDSP to DLT - a scsi problem???
on Sep 14, 2005 at 3:18:59 pm

Thank you so much for your well-informed answer. We're now working on it.

Return to posts index

sessan
DVDSP to DLT - a scsi problem? The G5 freezes!!
on Sep 14, 2005 at 5:11:51 pm

Hi Alex,
We did as you suggested. We borrowed an Atto card and a DLT machine (HP SureStore DLT40) from another company that never got it to work with their G4. With your advices at hand, we upgraded as you suggested, and the card seems alright. When we start up with the HP however, the G5 freezes - which is exactly what happened with their G4. We also tried with a new Acard card, but this time DVDSP couldn't find the tape machine at all.
We figure there's something wrong with the tape machine. What do you think? Does our problems relate to the cards or the tape machine?

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
Re: DVDSP to DLT - a scsi problem? The G5 freezes!!
on Sep 14, 2005 at 6:26:38 pm

The G4 and G5 have varying SCSI card requirements. Do not attempt to use anything but an ATTO in the G5.

Things you need to do.

You checked the firmware on the ATTO SCSI card in the G5?
You made sure the driver version for the card is 2.12?
You have the ATTO card plugged into Slot #2 of the G5?

-Alex

Return to posts index

sessan
on Sep 14, 2005 at 6:34:23 pm

Yes - on all three questions!

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on Sep 14, 2005 at 6:36:46 pm

Are you sure about the terminitor? Is it indeed active? Do you have another, later driver, from ATTO that shouldn't be there still installed?

-Alex

Return to posts index

sessan
on Sep 14, 2005 at 6:51:07 pm

Yes, we're sure. It's active. And nothing else installed that shouldn't be there.

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on Sep 14, 2005 at 6:59:07 pm

What is the ID on the back of the DLT drive set at?

-Alex

Return to posts index

sessan
on Sep 14, 2005 at 7:11:09 pm

It's set at 3.

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on Sep 14, 2005 at 7:12:30 pm

What firmware revision are you getting on the ATTO card?

-Alex

Return to posts index

sessan
on Sep 14, 2005 at 7:29:33 pm

Sorry, my operator just went home - it's late here in Sweden - and I can't check it right now. We'll try with another DLT machine tomorrow - with the same Atto card. But for tomorrow: what firmware revision should we get? Anything else we should think of for tomorrows trials?

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on Sep 14, 2005 at 8:03:35 pm

I want you to tell me. That way, I'm sure you know how to set and check the firmware properly. So you tell me what your firmware revision is, and I'll tell you how to change it if needed.

-Alex

Return to posts index

sessan
on Sep 14, 2005 at 8:16:44 pm

Ok! Since I'm likely to only make things worse here on my own, we'll get back on the Cow first thing tomorrow, when my operator is back.
And thank you so far.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]