FORUMS: list search recent posts

Make Movie Self-Contained?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vickie
Make Movie Self-Contained?
on Sep 2, 2005 at 7:31:35 pm

I've been working on this dvd project forever and the last month have been having a bear of a time getting iDVD to encode (it crashes EVERY time), and then write it. I have had so much problem that I am upgrading to DVDSP--actually fcp studio. Anyway, I was looking at some tutorials on DVDSP so I can hit the ground running when I receive my software and found something interesting. It says not to check "Make Movie Self-Contained" when exporting. So I did this and am finding each of my 8 files are now only a few hundred mb each instead of 1-3 gb each. I've written one disk so far (the project will have to be on 2 disks), and it played fine. Is this OK? Is there anyhing I'm not aware of that will cause me other issues? Have I been doing this wrong by making it self-contained all this time?

Thanks for the help.
Vickie

Return to posts index

ed
Re: Make Movie Self-Contained?
by
on Sep 3, 2005 at 5:56:23 pm

Self-contained just means the file you export is a complete stand-alone file that can be moved to other machines if needed, without linking back to the original material. By not selecting self-contained, you're creating a reference file that points back to the original material. The advantage is you don't have to wait forever (as you might for the self-contained file to export), the disadvantage is, since it links/points to the original material, you can't move the reference file or the original files while you're using the ref file for compressing or affecting, or you lose the link.
Ed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]