FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using "set-top" DVD recorders w/HDD to archive -- any experiences/thoughts?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shah
Using "set-top" DVD recorders w/HDD to archive -- any experiences/thoughts?
by
on Sep 2, 2005 at 5:42:14 am

At our new tv station, I have been eyeing the new (and cheap) set-top DVD recorders with internal Hard Disc Drives (HDD) as a secondary archiving format. We do all our editing in Final Cut Pro, and until we get all our equipment, we will be airing our programming from either DVCAM tape or DVD (I know the latter is not ideal, but it is a technical limitation that we will overcome soon).

Sony, Toshiba, and Phillips all have units on the market now, and the latest one from JVC has a 160 gig HDD and can burn 32X, which means that a one-hour DVD can be burned in two minutes (!). I understand that these units are for TV-watching consumers, and they are not intended for professional editing.

However, they have Firewire ports, and so they beg the question: "What if I simply export a Quicktime movie into the recorder's hard disk drive, and have it burn me a DVD at a fraction of the time it would take my FCP system to encode the MPEG-2 and blah, blah, blah...?"

Someone, I am sure, must have tried doing this. Can anyone lead me to resources where I can learn more? Any thoughts or experiences will be truly appreciated, as I need to make this purchase decision soon.

I have posted this thread in another forum because I am not sure where it belongs!

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Using "set-top" DVD recorders w/HDD to archive -- any experiences/thoughts?
on Sep 2, 2005 at 3:56:47 pm

Doable but not exactly a great archive as the DVD is going to be not easily editable and in much more compression than it is on DVD. But strictly as something to be able to be viewed at a later date- sure.

Noah

Return to posts index

Borjis
Re: Using "set-top" DVD recorders w/HDD to archive -- any experiences/thoughts?
on Sep 2, 2005 at 4:13:09 pm

The maximum technical limit of DVD is 16x unless I've missed something.
So 16x is as fast as you could do it.

All of the multi-function recorders I've seen (with the hard drive and ethernet)
still require that what you put on the disc be an mpeg2 compliant video file.

It won't take a quicktime and encode it for you.

but you could playback your FCP timeline to the unit and record
it in realtime that way. Thats a big time saver.

If your TV Station is going to rely on a recorder for operations then the
only unit you should be considering is the Pioneer PRV-LX1.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]