FORUMS: list search recent posts

broadcast quality authoring on Mac

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikki J
broadcast quality authoring on Mac
on Aug 24, 2005 at 4:11:21 am

Hi, I have a question that I'm sure has been asked a 1,000 times, but I'm new to Apple and FCP and have been using both compressor and quicktime to encode my timeline before preparing my DVDs in DVD studio. I'm making 3-4 min. videos that need to be high quality, if possible, equivalent to broadcast quality, or very close, and at the moment I'm getting nowhere near that quality. Do I need a better encoder, and if so, can you recommend any software ones that are compatible with the Mac OS X, or do I need to get a better authoring programme? Any advice you have would be great!

Many thanks
Nikki

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: broadcast quality authoring on Mac
on Aug 24, 2005 at 6:02:42 am

Broadcast quality is such an arbitrary term that we don't even use it anymore around here. If you use the HQ settings and everything is setup properly in DVDSP/FCP you can expect results that look within IMHO 75-85% as sharp as the original input footage. That said it won't ever look better and can look a lot worse depending on your workflow and your source material. That said- what exactly is the problem?

Noah

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: broadcast quality authoring on Mac
on Aug 25, 2005 at 4:52:28 pm

If you are not happy with the results you are getting from your encoder, the two possibilities for improvemnt are (1) learning how to use encoders better or (2) getting a better encoder.

Many people like Cinemacraft encoders on OS-X. You need to answer for yourself about your level of expertise in encoding video.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]