FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC or PAL

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mremp
NTSC or PAL
on Aug 16, 2005 at 5:08:06 pm

Can anyone tell me if I am sending a DVD over to Europe...will it play in NTSC format? Or would I be better off to convert it to PAL. If conversion is better, is it as simple as changing the format in my authoring software (DVD Workshop2) to PAL and burning a disc?

Thanks in advance.
M

Return to posts index

Borjis
Re: NTSC or PAL
on Aug 16, 2005 at 5:25:46 pm

Most PAL DVD players and all PAL televisions 10 years and newer
can playback NTSC DVD's just fine.

Return to posts index

Ed
by
on Aug 18, 2005 at 3:35:41 pm

Daniel,
Not quite sure what your point is from the links you posted. The question isn't "can a UK player play a region 1 DVD without a hack?"
It's "will my NTSC DVD play on a PAL machine?" The answer is yes, on most machines and TVs. We send NTSC DVDs to Europe all the time and they play on every machine tried. Make sure to set the Region codes in your authoring program to play everywhere though.
Ed

Return to posts index

daniel_l
on Aug 18, 2005 at 3:47:18 pm

Ed,

I'm from the UK and the legal standpoint here is that no manufacturer can supply a "DVD" player as multi-region. That is because the DVD specification requires regional coding on all players and recorders - any player not conforming to this specification cannot be called a "DVD" player.

It requires that the supplier or the end user perform a multi region hack.

You have obviously been lucky with your customers, from my experience most domestic DVD players are not enabled.

I used to make a living from doing standards conversion (NTSC->PAL) for DVD.

Regards

DL

Return to posts index

Ed
by
on Aug 18, 2005 at 3:57:41 pm

It's not the player that needs to be multi-region, it's the DVD. In DVD Studio Pro 3, for example, the default setting for Region Code is *all*.
For a PAL player and TV, that means the DVD will work, at least for most players, and for all newer PAL TVs. Now if he was simply sending an NTSC DVD of a movie he bought somewhere, it *would* have a single region code most likely, but this is the DVD Authoring Forum, so I assume he's asking about authoring an NTSC DVD that he wants to play in PAL land.
Ed

[daniel_l] "Ed,

I'm from the UK and the legal standpoint here is that no manufacturer can supply a "DVD" player as multi-region. That is because the DVD specification requires regional coding on all players and recorders - any player not conforming to this specification cannot be called a "DVD" player.

It requires that the supplier or the end user perform a multi region hack.

You have obviously been lucky with your customers, from my experience most domestic DVD players are not enabled.

I used to make a living from doing standards conversion (NTSC->PAL) for DVD.

Regards

DL"

Return to posts index

Mremp
on Aug 18, 2005 at 4:01:27 pm

Ed is correct.

I am sending a DVD that has been authored in NTSC over to the UK and Sweden. It has been authored to play in all regions. So I was simply wondering if it would be playable if I send it as is, or if there is a need to author a separate PAL version.

I think I will leave it as is as I have read elsewhere as well that NTSC DVD's will play fine in PAL machines and TV's.

Thanks for your help guys.

Mremp

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Aug 19, 2005 at 4:29:15 pm

Yeah we're all talking about open region Recordable DVD,
not hollywood pressed titles with Region Codes.

Those obviously wouldn't work without hacking.

Return to posts index

daniel_l
on Aug 22, 2005 at 2:33:46 pm

I stand corrected.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]