FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Rom Formatting

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Sheridan
DVD Rom Formatting
on Aug 10, 2005 at 8:06:49 pm

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone knows a solution for my problem - or can point me in the direction of one!

I have a DVD-ROM to create for mass replication... I am using Sonic Rom Formatter to create a MAC/PC DVD!

Each time the DLT is created the Mac files loose their identity! and become totally unusable!

Has anyone done this before - or know of any software other than Rom Formatter!

Cheers,

Dan ;)

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
Re: DVD Rom Formatting
on Aug 11, 2005 at 2:41:30 am

I have Sonic Rom Formatter HD and Gear Pro Mastering Edition, both of which are PC applications, as I am sure you know. I have heard from others that there are issues with the Mac file sysem regarding Rom Formatter, but never tried it myself. So what you might wnat to try is Gear 7. They have a 60 day demo of it with no feature locks other than it does in 60 days.

When you have finished downloading it and installing it, on the upper left-hand side, select "New", then Choose "DVD-ROM", and then add your files, and burn away. See if it works, and please let me know. I'm not in front of my Mac or I'd FTP some files and try it for you.

Can you tell me about the files on the Mac side you tried so I can do the same and see what you see.

Also, what version of Rom Formatter are you on? 3.1?

-Alex

Return to posts index

Dan Sheridan
on Aug 11, 2005 at 11:50:36 am

Hi Alex,

I have downloaded and installed the software - I am trying to add a Macromedia Director Classic projector to the disc - I have also tried with OSX projectors and still no joy!

There are also a bunch of html files and CSV files - these can all be read - but the projector does not load up... it has no icon associated with it - when u double click it should launch - however the mac asks what I want to do with the file!

If you want I can email you the classic projector if you could try your end that would be great!

Cheers,

Dan ;)

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on Aug 11, 2005 at 12:51:26 pm

sure,

mail that to, alex.alexzander@gmail.com

I'll try it in both Gear and Rom Formatter.

-Alex

Return to posts index

Trai Forrester
on Sep 1, 2005 at 4:37:17 pm

Hi Dan,

Alex is right. Sonic Rom Formatter is pretty much useless for those working on the Mac.

DVD SP 4 added support for pure DVD-Rom formatting, which should preserve the resource forks in the image. Although I haven't tested it, the process is outlined in the manual starting on page 575.

You can also use Toast to write the image, then move it over to the PC for Gear Pro Mastering (excels with ROM only material) to write the DLT (older versions of Toast can be used to write a DVD-5 size project to DLT). Even DVD-9 pure DVD ROM's can be formatted this way. I have tested this method, and used it for years to preserve Mac resource forks and it works great.

Please let us know (Sorry for the late reply, it's been awhile since I was over here in the DVD Authoring forum; I thought all DVD authoring was done in DVD SP! :-) <---that's a smiley

Take care,

Trai

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Aug 12, 2005 at 1:25:53 am

Dan,

What authoring application are you using?

Do you have DAVE, MacLan, or Mac Opener on your PC? You need to have one of these apps to preserve the resource forks required for some Mac files to work. One can run into a similar issue using eDVD and having the discs play properly on a Mac. For folders to launch, or Mac executables; the resource forks must be maintained. Importing the ROM content over to a Mac (on a PC formatted drive) and including the contents of the folder in Toast or pointing DVDSP to the ROM folder will preserve the resource forks. Of course if you didn't author with DVDSP you can't use that app, and Toast won't help with DLT output. I have used Data Viz Mac Opener and wasn't happy with it and currently use MacDrive. I don't do Mac/PC ROM discs on a PC (I output to recordable with Toast or use DVDSP for other), so I don't know how well that app (MacDrive6) would work (it's not listed as one of the suggested apps in Sonic's manual).

Jim

Return to posts index

Alex Alexzander
on Aug 12, 2005 at 2:44:40 am

It sounds right to me James. This is from the Rom Formatter help file:

To add Macintosh compatibility to a ROM file:

1. Copy the Macintosh files to the computer running ROM Formatter, through a network connection or from removable media.

2. Add the files to the Files List. See Adding ROM Files.
In the Files List, select the file or folder you want to specify as Macintosh format.

3. Choose Project > Toggle Macintosh File.
If an individual file was selected, only it is identified as a Macintosh file. Its icon in the Files List changes to an Apple icon.

If a folder was selected, all files within the folder are identified as Macintosh files. Their icons in the Files List change to an Apple icon.

Now, here is the trick though. If you ask for properties on this file from Rom Formatter, it will say: Macintosh information not found. This is because my NT box running Rom Formatter doesn't have an application such as MacOpener. I tried going over the network, via CD, and so on, but I think James is right on target. Without something that preserves the resource fork, it does look hopeless to me. At least with the file I have from you. I tried a few varying files in OS X and had the same results. I went ahead and make three samples anyway, then tested them in the Mac, and none of the samples had files the Mac understood.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]