FORUMS: list search recent posts

using stock photos in Dvd menus...?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pixel8ted
using stock photos in Dvd menus...?
on Aug 3, 2005 at 8:50:46 am

Hi there,

I create Dvd menus in various formats (Adobe Encore, DVD Studio Pro 2 and MyDVD formats )- for local Corporate use .

I have thought of creating and selling Dvd menus online - but can I use photos puchased from stock Photo companies as part of the dvd menus?--e.g boardroom pictures, photos of people shaking hands etc--which are enhanced/worked upon in photoshop.

Please help.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
Re: using stock photos in Dvd menus...?
on Aug 3, 2005 at 3:54:30 pm

My first reaction was, "No way." Most publishers say, "You can use the pictures, but you can't resell them."

But you should check the language in the license agreement that came with the stock photos. You could also call the agency or publisher. I would imagine that a lot of people in your situation don't bother to contact the publisher.

-- BC

Return to posts index

pixel8ted
I wonder If people would be intersted in menu design ..
on Aug 4, 2005 at 7:36:28 am

Thanks for your reply,I think I will contact the publisher and find out though I doubt It will work out :(.

I wonder If people would be intersted in menu design based on something like layered design elements ...using Relevant photographs , illustrator elements and 3d objects/shapes? slightly more abstract and arty than on the face photographs..?

I would like some feedback on this , from this forum.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

kieran
on Aug 4, 2005 at 2:04:28 pm

The answer is contained in the terms of the license under which you acquired the stock images. And I would suggest that it is almost certainly no.

All licenses restrict the ability of the purchaser to redistribute the image, as this is the whole point of licensing it, as opposed to transferring the underlying copyright to the purchaser. I would be very surprised if your license didn't contain something to the effect that you can use the image for commerical purposes, except those that allow the redistribution or reuse of the image.

Return to posts index

Mike Schrengohst
on Aug 25, 2005 at 3:52:01 am

http://www.bigstockphoto.com/?refid=352LvnK7mf

I contribute here and I think you could buy
photos here for the purpose you describe.

Return to posts index

pixel8ted
thanks [nt]
on Sep 1, 2005 at 5:00:36 am

nt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]