FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD or HD dubbed to Beta?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernie Geefay
HD or HD dubbed to Beta?
on Jul 15, 2005 at 5:32:43 pm

A client wants us to author DVD's(we use DVD SP3) from their HD footage. We have done several smaller projects for them by dubbing the HD over to BetaSP(edit in FCP 4.5..then author in DVD SP3). We have the Beta SP decks and FCP system working very well. We author all our DVD's with this system and the quality is OK. Our question is, if we upgrade our FCP system(HD link or Kona 2) to edit the HD natively then author in DVD SP3 at 720 x 486 NTSC, would their be a noticeable quality difference in the final product? Or would the difference not justify the extra cost of the new capture cards and raids?
Thanks for any input.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: HD or HD dubbed to Beta?
on Jul 15, 2005 at 6:16:23 pm

Ernie,

Its a tough call. If the quality of your present DVDs is good, the only noticebale difference on most TVs would likly be some slight noise and some minor artifacts, and maybe a bit of perceived color depth. You can throw a lot of money at it and get noticeable benefits that you can see in the studio, but most of the time they'll be missed when the discs are viewed on home players. On the other hand, if you're trying to compete with the best, get the best.

DRW

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Jul 15, 2005 at 11:32:49 pm

I'd out source your encoding to a third party for the MPEG streams then author in DVDSP. It saves you time and you dont have to go to Beta SP from a HD source which I would think is a big no no these days.

Return to posts index

Borjis
on Jul 18, 2005 at 4:50:14 pm

what it really all boils down to is introduction of noise from
the betasp and how good the downsizing/scaling is.

If your not noticing very much noise and the aliasing is
looking like typical video is, I wouldn't even worry about it.

I'd only do it if your client is having reservations about
the final Disc image quality and they are willing to spend
more to make it better.

Return to posts index

Ernie Geefay
on Jul 20, 2005 at 4:48:56 pm

Appreciate all the input. Thanks......

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]