FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-Ray (or HD) - will it make us wish we'd waited to convert VHS>DVD?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
limelite
Blu-Ray (or HD) - will it make us wish we'd waited to convert VHS>DVD?
on Jul 11, 2005 at 6:31:50 pm

I'm just wondering if when the new Blu-Ray format comes out (or it's competitor) if we will be shooting ourselves in the foot for converting VHS to current DVD-/+Rs.

For example, will we be able to get better results using Blu-Ray - more genuine, archival quality transfers from VHS to DVD? Or is it more of a analog>digital conversion issue that will not be resolved by alloting more storage space? i.e. is a current VHS to DVD-R transfer done today pretty much the best I can do given the limitations of the conversion process? Or will Blu-Ray give us archival quality copies?

To be honest I'm not sure which I'm hoping for. I would love the transfer to be archival quality, but I will be somewhat frustrated since I just bought a DVD burner and have already copied over some older home movies and ditched the original since I assumed it was the best that could be done. Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

-Limelite

Return to posts index

Borjis
Re: Blu-Ray (or HD) - will it make us wish we'd waited to convert VHS>DVD?
on Jul 11, 2005 at 9:45:29 pm

no not at all really since these are high-definition formats
and not standard definition which vhs falls very much below.

A DVD has 480 lines of resolution.
Vhs has 240 lines of resolution.

HD has 1080 or 720.

you can see the HD would be overkill and completely unnecessary.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: Blu-Ray (or HD) - will it make us wish we'd waited to convert VHS>DVD?
on Jul 12, 2005 at 3:35:22 pm

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the forthcoming HD-DVD formats. VHS is minimal quality NTSC which looks pretty bad on a large HD display. If you have access to a $350,000 standards converter, you can make it look farly good. Otherwise don't worry about it. Standard def DVD will be around for a long time -- there are just too many discs out there.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]