FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL and NTSC on one disc ..?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike_S
PAL and NTSC on one disc ..?
on Jul 2, 2005 at 10:00:24 am

Is there any way to put both PAL and NTSC material on a single disc ... and have it work in both PAL and NTSC players? I guess it would need some ability to interrogate the player to see what standard it defaults to, and then choose a menu / video file based on the result ..?

Return to posts index

Malcolm D
Re: PAL and NTSC on one disc ..?
on Jul 2, 2005 at 11:49:44 am

Hi
As far as I know a disc can only be one standard. If you want a DVD for universal playback use NTSC as all PAL players support NTSC but the reverse is not true.

Return to posts index

Mike_S
on Jul 2, 2005 at 12:04:45 pm

Hi Malcolm

Thanks for the thoughts. As a PAL area resident, I can tell you though that many TV screens here will not support playback of NTSC DVDs, and that the "pseudo-PAL" typically produced by a PAL player from an NTSC doesn't look great even when it is viewable ...

Anyone else with ideas on if / how the spec might suppord doing this?

Mike

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 2, 2005 at 2:25:39 pm

Mike,

The only way to do what you want is to use a double-sided DVD with PAL on one side NTSC on the other. There's no other way to do it.

Return to posts index

Mike_S
on Jul 2, 2005 at 8:12:48 pm

Thanks, David.

I've never seen a dual-sided disc, though, and would guess that there's no space for labelling / face printing ..? And that fingerprints anywhere at all, either side, would be an issue? I guess that it'll be a case of two separate discs for duplication - sadly!

Mike

Return to posts index

Malcolm D
on Jul 2, 2005 at 6:54:45 pm

Hi
I also live in a PAL country (New Zealand) and work for a company that distributes DVD Movies for one of the major studios. 25% of the titles are NTSC Region 4 so they clearly do not consider this a problem and in my experience any TV under 10 years old will usually play NTSC either as PAL60 or NTSC 4.43 depending on setup on the DVD player. I have no complaints about the quality of NTSC playback on my 42inch TV.

Return to posts index

Mike_S
on Jul 3, 2005 at 8:26:54 am

Hi Malcolm

Of course DVD Region 4 includes Central and South America and the Caribbean (many NTSC territories) as well as Australia and New Zealand, so producing region 4 discs in both PAL and NTSC would be no surprise.

While I'm delighted that you are happy with your playback experience of NTSC discs, far from all users in PAL areas share your happy situation. I feel it's important to try to supply people with what they prefer and what will work easily and well on their system.

Offering NTSC discs in a PAL region as the sole choice does not sound like good business to me.

What I was after was authoring-level guidance on whether it is possible within DVD spec to call system information from the player to determine whether it is PAL or NTSC, and divert first play to an appropriate menu / program stream depending on the result.

David's answer suggests that it is not possible: I'm inclined to accept that.

All best,

Mike

Return to posts index

WTS(JManz)
on Jul 3, 2005 at 1:10:18 pm

Mike,

Just to elaborate a bit more on David's post. The dvd spec doesn't allow for PAL and NTSC to be within the same project/disc. It can be one or the other, not both. Hence, you either need to provide a copy of each--separate single sided discs, or a double sided disc. I have created several of those in the past, and I would share your concern about fingerprints, scratches, and the like. You can't print on either side, so there is no clear way of telling the user which side to put in. The clear hub center might be a place to use one of the small hub labels, but I'm not too keen on using labels on discs--especially double sided ones. They are basically two single sided discs bonded to each other. They are heavier, and unless you are getting top notch quality discs, I think they have a tendency to spin improperly, or at least they would have a greater chance of it (esp with labels) to spin out of true because of weight distribution. Many set top player in 'PAL' land cand read NTSC discs just fine, but I think it's your call as to how much of a risk that would be. The converse is definitely not true, most players in 'NTSC-land' don't read PAL discs.

Jim

Return to posts index

eric
by
on Jul 3, 2005 at 4:49:52 pm

Producing 1 set of discs (NTSC) just might be good business sense if your familar with the costs of replication. If your planning a low run of discs it might be OK. IMO

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]